Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Paying for a hunt

Old 05-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

PS- paying to hunt/access private land is one way to avoid hunters, and that could be a reason many guys would rather have a quality hunt, vs. some of these public areas with people everywhere, though I think alot of these areas, esp for archery are going to draw only and limiting tags something I fully support.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Correct me if I am wrong but it reads like the OP is paying for hunts. If you are trading hunts then you are paying for them in essence the same as someone who pays a guide.

A person who pays money is trading something they have of value for something the outfitter has of value being the hunt.

If you trade access to your hunting location, something of value to you, for something of value to someone else is it not the same in essence???

Alot of people don't have their own land or are not members of clubs that they can just invite anybody over for a hunt so they have to use alternative methods i.e. cash.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

I respectfully dissagree. With your analogy then buying a permit is paying for a hunt. Putting gas in your vehicle, buying supplies, paying for a room, etc is paying for a hunt.

I am just talking about guides and outfitters.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 05-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

No, no. I am not referring to the expenses associated with hunting itself. I am talking about what you have traded in return for the right to hunt someone else's property.

You paid for your property or the membership to a club so it has real value and you are trading that for what someone else has. At some point you paid something to get the opportunity to hunt those locations you trade for.

Everyone, including the guy who hunts state land has to pay for gas, license etc... these are just the seperate cost of actually performing the hunt itself.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

I guess I'm too black and white. I never understood putting all kinds of spins on everything. It taxes my wee pea brain too much!!!

I still dissagree. My land doesn't cost me any money and I don't charge my friends that I take there. I have permission to hunt from the land owner. It's totally 100% free.

Spudrow from MO
Old 05-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

I'm out on the this topic

Hey Spudrow, good luck with this upcoming season. Sounds like you are a lucky guy. Good hunting.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Yes I am very lucky. Thanks. Good luck to you as well.

Spudrow rom MO
Old 05-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
I can't figure out why someone would want to ask this question? Each of us have our own abilities and disabilities when it comes to hunting. As long as the practive is legal in the state you are hunting then why is it any one else business whether a person pays for a hunt of not?

I do not have the opportunity to travel all over the country nd hunt in many states. If you do, good for you and enjoy yourself. If I decided I wanted to hunt elk I would pay someone to show me when, where and put me on a decent animal. That would be my decision so why should I care or worry what someone else thinks of the way I do it. It is legal, it is ethical and it iw a means for me to accomplish what I want out of hunting. So I would do it and enjoy it.
I tend to agree with the comments above. I personally live in a big city and do not have access to land like you may. A lot of people who live in rural areas have many more friends and opportunities with people that own bigger tracks of land. It sounds like the author of this post has many friends that live in the country and has access to land all over the nation. That sounds like a good set up that you have but a lot of us can't take off extra amounts of time to drive a long ways to find and scout land.

I'll give you a prime example, if I take off 3 days to scout public land in S. Illinois, the costs I run to drive there, hotels, Lost wages, head aches that I get from clients when I am gone, etc cost me a lot more than to have someone help me with a piece of land and give me suggestions on where to hunt. I would still put in a lot of time doing scouting via ariel maps and such. I have to say you are lucky to be able to have friends and access to do that, but some of us can't leave work for days to do some scouting. I have to deal with clients all the time and the more missed time that I can't help them, the more I have to work later.

I do have to say that a few people on here have been helping me with some Illinois public land 300+ miles from home and I really do appreciate it. They are saving me a lot of time and appreciate there help GREATLY!

I'll never put someone down for paying to hunt free ranging animals, some of us city people don't have the access and friends to do so. High fence is a whole different story, I can't stand that! I hope this explanation helps with why people would pay to hunt land.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Fastetti. Good post. I live in St. Louis. It's a big city too. Although I am starting to understand some of these answers I have a question for you. Don't you have vacation time?

Spudrow from MO
Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spudrow
Fastetti. Good post. I live in St. Louis. It's a big city too. Although I am starting to understand some of these answers I have a question for you. Don't you have vacation time?

Spudrow from MO

Thanks Spudrow. I do have vacation time, but unfortunatly it is a lot easier to take it at holidays when other people are taking their vacations as well, that is why Christmas is my favorite time of the year. Personally, Im in sales and its tough to be away from the office/clients for more than a few days and I take a good chunk of time of for Christmas and try to save as much time as I can for deer season. I hate to admit it, but I've been on my blackberry sending out emails in my blinds before the sun comes up on a few occasions. I'm not proud of it, but it had to be done.

When your in the city, its seems like every small trip even requires a vacation day. They quickly add up as Im sure everyone knows with family events, trips (such as lake of the Ozarks last summer! ) and such. Plus, the more days I save up during the year the more I can hunt in the fall. If you take 2 days off to scout for gun season then 4 days off to hunt, there goes a week right there for one season and if I only get 3 weeks a year I start to get low. Luckily, I found a spot to bow hunt 30 minutes from downtown Chicago and a short trip from where my parents live so I can always stay there for the night and get some hunting in, problem is its 25 yards from the Tollway so it is as loud as a sporting event. Oh well, at least its hunting.

Hope this is a good explanation. Thanks for coming back with a civil response to my first post. I just wanted to explain how I think even though I don't like paying to hunt, the option has to always be there for me, but NEVER HIGH FENCE. I can't stand that killing. Good luck Spudrow and as long as you tell me you arent a Missou fan or Cardinal fan (Die hard Cubs fan and Jayhawk fan here) you'll be one of the ones posts I watch on here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.