Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Paying for a hunt

Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's cheaper to do so for many hunters. Plenty of people don't have access to quality hunting land. By the time they bought or leased land, ran food plots, bought stands etc. it would be a small fortune. It's cheaper and easier to pay to hunt many times.

Public land hunts are available, but you run into spending tons of time and facing over-hunted areas. I think it many cases it's cheaper to pay an outfitter than it is to buy or lease land.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default outfitters

I can understand the outfitter hunt completely for all the reasons previously stated. It's the "canned" hunts, if you call them hunts, that I don't much care for at all.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Spike

because thet can afford it.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Kudos to you then, thats impressive. If you dont mind me asking, how do you hunt hogs in TX w/out an outfitter? Do you find public land or just get landowner permission?
Not much if any public land in Tx. I'm aware of.

I belong to several other hunting sites. We swap hunts all the time and never charge each other. The Tx hog hunt is only $45 for the tag and less than $100 for gas and supplies. We stay at his camp. Actually I only stay in a motel in 1 state. Now, I have paid
$100 for a trespass fee in Wyoming. Most places we either camp out or stay at the host's place. I also hunt public property in 3 of those states.
No matter where you hunt, good luck and be safe.

Spudrow from MO
Old 05-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

I can't figure out why someone would want to ask this question? Each of us have our own abilities and disabilities when it comes to hunting. As long as the practive is legal in the state you are hunting then why is it any one else business whether a person pays for a hunt of not?

I do not have the opportunity to travel all over the country nd hunt in many states. If you do, good for you and enjoy yourself. If I decided I wanted to hunt elk I would pay someone to show me when, where and put me on a decent animal. That would be my decision so why should I care or worry what someone else thinks of the way I do it. It is legal, it is ethical and it iw a means for me to accomplish what I want out of hunting. So I would do it and enjoy it.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
I can't figure out why someone would want to ask this question? Each of us have our own abilities and disabilities when it comes to hunting. As long as the practive is legal in the state you are hunting then why is it any one else business whether a person pays for a hunt of not?

I do not have the opportunity to travel all over the country nd hunt in many states. If you do, good for you and enjoy yourself. If I decided I wanted to hunt elk I would pay someone to show me when, where and put me on a decent animal. That would be my decision so why should I care or worry what someone else thinks of the way I do it. It is legal, it is ethical and it iw a means for me to accomplish what I want out of hunting. So I would do it and enjoy it.
Geeze. Keep your shirt on. I can't understand why you would post a post like this? It's an honest question and some of the answers were great. I've just never done it. I do agree however that if it's legal go for it.

Hope your day gets better.

Spudrow from MO
Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

How do you feel about leasing land to hunt then? haha...

Or paying trespass fees?

I've done both, DIY, outfitted hunts, bot have their place in hunting IMO.

Some guys I'm sure don't have many buddies to tag along with them on hunts, either they're too busy, or too poor always, or just can't be talked into western hunts etc...

So paying an outfitter, who has the camping gear, cooking, etc... may be the easiest option, IMO you really aren't paying an outfitter to shoot an animal for you, or take you out to the woods point to an elk and say shoot! Also paying someone to cook, take care of the horses saves you alot of time and work so you can focus on your hunt. Also when living out of state a week long hunt may be all you hunt in a year, vs. people who live in state and get out every weekend for 3 months...just alot of factors go into it.

Also let's say you're 65 or older, not in great shape, or drew a once in a lifetime type tag, are you just going to wing it? especially if all you can swing is 7 days to pursue that animal?

I know some guys who wouldn't consider a DIY hunt, probably just out of not having done it before and simply personal comfort, they want to pay a guide/outfitter, go out west, hunt, shoot an animal.

That too, a lot of guys don't want to just wing it and say non-resident non guided success odds are 7%, vs. 75% with a guide/outfitter, either way you're spending money, at a bare minimum on food, gas, add a motel, etc...

Trading a hunt, you could argue borders on paying for a hunt, also having a friend guide you out of state, say a friend lives in a state and guides you, amounts to hiring a guide etc..., not everyone has friends in other states or who are so generous.

I would argue though that little probably amounts to the feeling of being successful on your own DIY hunt on public land and taking a trophy animal.

PS- many easterners may only go out west, ie on that classic western elk hunt once in their lives, many guys aren't going out west annually or multiple times annually, as well some of these premium limited entry type tags take 10+ years to draw, and again even if you have friends who love hunting, how many are willing to drive cross country simply to "help" you hunt when they don't have a tag.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

I am ok with leased property, trespass fees, as long as they're reasonable, canned hunts, (although not for me), I did try one with a friend, but didn't like it. I'm even ok with hiring a guide, (again, not for me). With all the public land out there I just don't understand why!!! Which was my original question.

I guess getting an animal isn't all that important to me. It's the hunt and enjoying a great time with friends and relatives.

In all of our draws for western hunts we all draw or none of us draw. I have always believed you only get out of something what you put into it. The more you work at something the more the rewards. Now, good research must be done to insure success. This is what I've always done.
As for cost. It costs a lot less for a DIY versus hiring an outfitter. Usually 1000's less. I don't know where you got your info on success rates, but mine are great. I have only been skunked twice.
Having a friend tell you where to go to get game or swapping hunts is a far cry from paying a guide. You have to be smart about this because hunting is becoming a high priced sport. Most of the younger hunters I know can't afford a trip out west with an outfitter but can do a DIY hunt.
I have been hunting for almost 50 years, it's easy to find someone to hunt with.
Are you an outfitter or guide by chance?

Thanks for your imput.

Spudrow from MO

Last edited by spudrow; 05-10-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not me, not an outfitter or guide.

non-resident, non-guided success rates in general are poor add to that success rates at trophies and it's much worse.

I agree though that there is alot of public land out west with a lil research more non-res can plan a fun trip and take an animal...

I've been skunked a few times, but then again I'm archery hunting, and usually pass up chances at legal/smaller game. It is always a blast for the most part.

I do seem to hear this question posed mostly from western hunters though.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have made a few "pay hunts". All fair chase. I did so because it was the only way that I knew of that I could easily arrange to hunt other parts of the country. And so far the "fees" have been both reasonable and have produced a fun time. I'll continue to pay for the opportunity ... every now and then. When you think about it, not much different than paying a hunting club dues fee. Down this way there are precious few public areas open to hunting and those that are are over hunted (in my opinion). Last time I hunted one of these areas, as soon as I could see after day break it looked like I was hunting in a pumpkin patch there was so much hunter orange out there.

Slob hunters have more or less ruined the "ask permission" opportunities that were once very common here in Alabama. I have asked probably 20 folks over the last 3-4 years and have 2 that will allow me to hunt their place. Both very small areas, with low quantities of any sort of game. So, leasing up large tracts of land, usually as a group to help spread the expenses is about the only way to assure a good chance to have a fun and successful season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.