Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Paying for a hunt

Old 05-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Paying for a hunt

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would pay for a hunt or an outfitter for a hunt. Now, I don't condemn it, I just don't understand why. What do you think?

Spudrow from Mo
Old 05-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is it really that hard to understand, that some people want to hunt different states, and different game i just came back from a hog hunt in texas, why? No hogs (or very few) in NY. No antelope, elk, mule deer, grizzly bears, etc., either. If I wanna hunt that stuff gotta go where they live, and pay for the pleasure. Sure there is public land (in most states) but who has the time to scout thousands of acres in states and terrain they dont live in I would go DIY when possible, but sometimes its just not practical. what I dont understand is why someone would pay to go somewhere and lay on a beach but to each his own.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Outfitters provide a service to clients, mainly out of state people. Around here if I shoot a very good deer it is going to be 125" or so. For me to get a good chance at a 160" + deer it will be necessary to go to another state. The outfitter will provide the land to hunt, license application, tags, a place to stay, place to eat, transportation as well as a guide that is very familiar with the area you are hunting. I've never used an outfitter, but wouldn't mind paying for a good one. Besides that, some states/provinces require an out of state hunter to hunt with a licensed guide.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

You can only hunt home turf and bag so many animals at home...
In NY I am allowed one buck on a gun tag. If m.l. or archery hunting, I am allowed a 2nd deer. Perhaps a doe on a deer management permit. My hunting season can be over very quickly (for deer). Many folks want to spread out their hunting times and opportunites in states that allow this. I do not consider myself a trophy hunter. I have never considered paying to go with an outfitter for deer, but I have taken trophy animals, and can work for them on my own. If I want to hunt bear, opportunities are very limited (not for lack of accessible land, but productive methods allowed). Thus, I have been to Canada 3 times for bear. Moose, elk, pronghorn? I certainly have to go out of state, and on my limited budget, I would burn much more valuable time and money on scouting trips than I would on hiriing on with a guide.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the answers. I was just wondering. I hunt Texas for hogs, Colorado for elk, Wyoming for Antelope & Mulies, Arkansas for deer and Turkey, Nebraska for deer, Il for deer, and of course everything here in Missouri. I have never used an outfitter or guide. I always do it myself and have only been skunked twice, on the 2 elk hunts. I'm not a trophy hunter but have killed some very nice animals. Scoping out the spots only takes a day or less. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 05-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

I don't see anything wrong with it, I have often thought of "renting" out a stand or two, not so much for the money but more to give someone from a different part of the country a chance to enjoy the way I hunt. . I have also thought of advertising for a trade. (A week at my place for a week at yours) As far a using an outfitter, I think it certainly has it's place. Doc
Old 05-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spudrow
Thanks for the answers. I was just wondering. I hunt Texas for hogs, Colorado for elk, Wyoming for Antelope & Mulies, Arkansas for deer and Turkey, Nebraska for deer, Il for deer, and of course everything here in Missouri. I have never used an outfitter or guide. I always do it myself and have only been skunked twice, on the 2 elk hunts. I'm not a trophy hunter but have killed some very nice animals. Scoping out the spots only takes a day or less. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Spudrow from Mo
Kudos to you then, thats impressive. If you dont mind me asking, how do you hunt hogs in TX w/out an outfitter? Do you find public land or just get landowner permission?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by spudrow
For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would pay for a hunt or an outfitter for a hunt. Now, I don't condemn it, I just don't understand why. What do you think?

Spudrow from Mo
Lack of opportunity...
Lack of experience...
Lack of personal accomplishment..
Old 05-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

I liken it to my time in the Navy, as we visited other countries it was easier to just go pay a fishing guide, he took care of everything, we fished, than later ate, than went back to the ship.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:40 AM
Spike

As you know the reasons are many as are the variables that will determine to what extent some one would pay. Funds and time are the 2 factors that determine , the where , when , and how for a hunt. Hunting can be done affordably or the sky's the limit ,regardless to each his own.
Its simply recreation to get away from the grind is all it realy is for most.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.