Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Looking to buy a new hunting rifle.... but what one? >

Looking to buy a new hunting rifle.... but what one?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking to buy a new hunting rifle.... but what one?

Old 05-08-2010, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

.30-06 would be my first choice since it probably will be awhile before you can buy another rifle. Even after you land your first job, the first few years can be a little lean on entry level pay and with things like school loans, car loans, etc. to pay off. A .30-06 gives you a wide selection of loadings and the shells are reasonably priced, an important factor for a starving college student to consider.

Second choice is a tie: .270 or .308.

The other reason I'd go with one of those calibers is that once you do get another rifle, that first one will be a very good back up if something goes haywire on your other one. Also, if you do decide to sell it, those calibers will make it much easier.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 05-08-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:56 AM
Typical Buck

Winchester .300 wsm. 150gr bullets and there is nothing you can't put on the ground.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a huge fan of the 308 Win. It is my cartridge of choice, and I have used it on white tails, mule deer, feral hogs, and coyotes. I have no clue about bear or elk hunting with a 308 Win. I cannot imagine it not being adequate for all but say grizzly bears.

The $$$ issue is there for sure for most of us just getting starting out. There can be some really good buys in used rifles. Especially if you are not hooked on "pretty". My choice would be a bolt action. If you have about $300 total, you will be hard pressed to buy both a rifle and scope ... of any quality. For $500, you'll still be pushing it, but it is doable. There should be tons of good advice coming. There has already been plenty. Here's one more. Spend the highest % of your total on the scope. Don't worry about the cosmetics of the rifle. As long as it is safe to shoot and accurate, go for it. Several cartridges will do - 30.06 Spr., 7mm Rem. Mag., 300 Win. Mag. for sure. Ammo for the 30.06 Spr. would probably be the most economical and certainly should be easy to find. As for a reasonable scope at a not-breaking the bank price, try an Elite 3200. Some times you can find a "take-off" scope at a good value. Guys are always "trading up" their optics, and there are often some fine buys out there.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

For $300-500 he should be able to get a decent used gun possibly with a decent scope on it or still have enough to get a Prostaff easy. Well with tax he may need to add a few bucks.