Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pistols

Old 05-04-2010, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pistols

Every year Illinois has a doe only late winter season, what a great opportunity to utilize my hand cannons.
Was out last January and pulled the squeeze on a nice mature doe. Illinois started a late winter "handgun only" season years ago. They have sinced changed the special season it to include all guns...But I still keep up the handgun tradition.
I have filled the freezer with .45 long colts, .454 casull and the almighty .50 cal, but my 629 has put more loins in the freezer. Does anyone else use wheelguns?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's cool, definitely on my list this year. I may hunt exclusively with the 44 mag this coming gun season!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Bucktail Bob --- Nice handguns. I use a .357mag for whitetails and it kills my ears. Do you use or need ear protection when hunting with those hand cannons?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I have tried to hunt with my 629 in .44 and my .309JDJ Contender but never seem to grab them when the deer are coming. I need to leave the shotgun at home and ust carry the handgun.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Warren
Bucktail Bob --- Nice handguns. I use a .357mag for whitetails and it kills my ears. Do you use or need ear protection when hunting with those hand cannons?
Ear protection is a must while on stand I will not squeeze without them.
You could probably get by with the .44, but it would be insane to shoot the 454 Casull or the S&W 500 without ear protection.
I hunted the IL opener last year with just me and my 629. I passed up on a nice 2 1/2 year old buck. My goal this year is to connect on a mature buck with one of my hand cannons.