Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Flinching when pulling the trigger >

Flinching when pulling the trigger

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Flinching when pulling the trigger

Old 05-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting kuk
I have seen small fellers shoot big rifles with no problem at all, so IMO size doesnt matter much. Like said before the first thing is to WEAR HEARING PROTECTION all the time when shooting. Another help is to get a quality trigger job done on your rifle, lite pull with no creep. And dont forget to practice with your rifle, the more the better. I have a 7mg and 270 and 30-06, to tell the truth I cant see much difference between the three in felt recoil. Now when I shoot my 300 win mag this is a difference. Good luck with your rifle
Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

Kuk,

They have all said it, but I'll say it again. HEARING PROTECTION! I know my ported turkey gun is harder on my ears than it is on my shoulder (and it hurts my shoulder ). Someone told me a long time ago that half of a gun's kick is in your ears. He talked me into wearing muffs while sighting my slug gun on a bench. I could not believe how much less my gun kicked when I couldn't hear it going off. Just try it, you'll be surprised.

And yes, letting someone load your gun for you will fix you up in a hurry. It is awfully embarrassing to pull the trigger and jerk your gun off the sandbags when there's no shell in it and your buddy is watching. You'll figure out that letting the gun beat you up is way better than letting your friends laugh at you!

I won't suggest getting a smaller gun, because I know what I'd say if someone told me that... "If I could afford one, I'd already have one!" Instead of a new gun, spend a few bucks on a Sims recoil pad. Try some managed recoil loads.

I hope we have helped some... Now somebody tell me how to quit punching the trigger when I shoot my bow!

rw
Old 05-19-2010, 06:01 AM
Spike

Great points here.

My best advise has been mentioned but I will reiterate. Stay focused on the scope and your target and concentrate on just squeezing the trigger and controlling breathing until the gun goes off. The best advise I was ever given for not flinching was "Let the gun firing surprise you".
Old 05-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Spike

Let someone else load your round or not! Then you concentrate on squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. Even pressure! When you have no round in the chamber and you dry fire and don't flinch you will have it licked. This is how I learned and you feel pretty silly when you flinch and your buddy didn't put the round in. You will be surprised how accurate you become when the gun goes off and you are surprised. Treat all guns as though they are loaded at all times!!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like others have said go grab a limbsaver pad and try dry firing. Trigger is also a big issue with accuracy but ur anticipating the shot so id go with the pad.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default I've been trying to decide on whether

Originally Posted by HuntingKS
Get some snap caps and practice dry firing 3 times a week until it's second nature.
to comment on this particular thread, on if I could help, or just comment. I've come to the conclusion that w/o actually being on site real time, I can only comment. Myself, I don't feel anything or hear anything when I "squeeze" the trigger, after seeing "thru" my target, and "breathing correctly" for my form. I guess my advice would be, more time on the range, make it automatic. Aquire your target, breath, half way or all out, which ever works for you, squeeze. Make it automatic, fluid, continuous. If you can afford the cost of rounds, and bumps on the shoulder, shoot until it becomes automatic. It's like taking your finger and reaching out and touching your target. The target is your concentration, nothing else, see it thru, you're thinking way too much. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

if you shoot right and high aim left and low if your shooting high and left shoot low and right
thats how i got a doe and a buck
Old 05-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you shoot right and high aim left and low if your shooting high and left shoot low and right
thats how i got a doe and a buck __________________

Thats about the dumbest thing ive ever heard. Practice practice and than practice some more become proficent. Dont compensate.