HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer smell (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/321938-deer-smell.html)

hunting-addict 04-21-2010 08:58 AM

Deer smell

i have been hunting with a few people who have said that deer can tell the difference between human urine and other animals. i was curious on what your opinions are because i have also read that they cant tell the difference. any advice is great, thanks

Daveboone 04-21-2010 11:56 AM

I have read that a buck is just as interested in human urine as deer. I question that, because being omnivores, human urine would have broken down proteins in it as any predators (coyote, etc) would. I am always sure to "go" well away from where I may be stand hunting.

MO Archer 04-21-2010 01:48 PM

I have actually pee'd in deer scrapes before and they seem to get more attention than before. I have never seen them become inactive after I have urinated in one. I have been testing this for 3 seasons now. I am not a vegetarian. I am of the opinion that it does not matter and you are free to pee where you want.

JagMagMan 04-21-2010 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by MO Archer (Post 3616029)
I have actually pee'd in deer scrapes before and they seem to get more attention than before. I have never seen them become inactive after I have urinated in one. .

I'll second that!

Rhody Hunter 04-21-2010 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MO Archer (Post 3616029)
I have actually pee'd in deer scrapes before and they seem to get more attention than before. I have never seen them become inactive after I have urinated in one. I have been testing this for 3 seasons now. I am not a vegetarian. I am of the opinion that it does not matter and you are free to pee where you want.

that is what i do and they go crazy afterwards scaping it

halfbakedi420 04-21-2010 03:40 PM

1st thing i do opening day is smoke a cigarette while i piss on my plot ...brings em in.

nchawkeye 04-22-2010 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3616089)
1st thing i do opening day is smoke a cigarette while i piss on my plot ...brings em in.

Well if they can smell the smoke, they can smell you...

J Pike 04-25-2010 07:22 PM

A deer cannot tell if urine is from a human but it can tell if the urine is from a meat eater. With a temp of 72 degree's a deer can tell the urine is from a red meat eater for about an hour.The higher the temp is the shorter amount of time a deer can identify that the urine is from a meat eater and the lower the temp is below 72 degrees the longer a deer can do so. As soon as urine hits the air the molecules in the urine is being broken down. Once urine is about 3-4 hours old (at the longest) a whitetail cannot determine whether urine is from another deer or a hippo. Pike