Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
If your a really good hunter..... >

If your a really good hunter.....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If your a really good hunter.....

Old 04-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
Is it even legal to hunt deer with a pistol?
It is in North Carolina, I've taken several with my .357 Ruger Blackhawk...
Old 04-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
Is it even legal to hunt deer with a pistol?
idk, lol
Old 04-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started hunting with a flintlock in 1977...I bought a .45 caliber custom made flinter when I lived in Atlanta...The builder ended up being one of the builders written up in Foxfire V...I killed 30 or so deer with it through the late 70s and through the 80s...

About 1986 I had an experience with a black bear on one of our farms and I decided I wanted a .54...After checking out how much it would cost to have one made I decided to do it myself...Fortunately I found a local guy that sold barrels, stock, locks and the hardware...I wanted a gun that could have been used in 1770 in the North Carolina area...

It took me 2 years to finish that rifle...I make my own patch lube, buy bulk pillow ticking for patching and mold my own balls...I've taken at least 40 deer with the .54...

I have since converted the .45 to a .40 and use it for small game...I also give talks to local schools and Boy Scouts on the American Revolution and Colonial Living in North Carolina...

btw...Daniel Boone moved to North Carolina in 1750 with his family when he was about 16...It was from here that he started his long hunts into Kentucky, the first in 1769 and it lasted 2 years...

You want reality??? How many of us could live in the woods for 2 years, much less dodge the Cherokees and Shawanees???

Here is the .40 caliber, loaded with 25grs of FFF it's deadly on squirrels...

Here is the .54...

Here I am showing some Boy Scouts how it's done...
This is at a camp near Charlotte...Bass Pro sponsers the event and we average 800 Scouts a year for the weekend...

Old 04-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

wow, thats awsome
Old 04-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

I shot my first ML last weekend. It was pretty cool. In SD you cannot use smokeless powder and iron sights only. I like the rules like that because it keeps ML hunting from becoming too modern. It keeps it old fashioned like it should be.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

this year one of my dads frends at work let me borrow his ML its real nice but my hunt turned out with two..no three misses first two were to far the third i was rattled after the misses
Old 04-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not into that ol' Davey Crockett smoke pole BS, but a modern inline Muzzleloading Rifle is the only gun I use for big game these days. There are incredible and far more accurate that the shotgun slug guns and handguns that we have to use here in Illinois.

Myself and all 3 of my kids (ages 9, 10 & 14) all use T/C Encore Pro Hunter 209 x .50's topped with quality optics with BDC reticles. Shooting 250 gr Shockwaves, they hold super tight patterns past 200 yards.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed

Myself and all 3 of my kids (ages 9, 10 & 14) all use T/C Encore Pro Hunter 209 x .50's topped with quality optics with BDC reticles. Shooting 250 gr Shockwaves, they hold super tight patterns past 200 yards.
Funny as heck you should say this, and then have what you have in your byline...

A true muzzleloader hunter doesn't need fancy gismos as he knows he can get closer to his quarry...

btw...He never went by Davy or Davey, only David...Walt Disney gave him the name Davy...
Old 04-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
I'm not into that ol' Davey Crockett smoke pole BS

Just curious, Ive noticed you make alot of rude posts, why do you do that? Do you get off on insulting people or something?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot a muzzy but have never hunted with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.