Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The beast is dead

Old 06-22-2003, 10:16 PM

Default The beast is dead

Today, while on my way to pick up my trailcam, I stumbled upon a the remains of the eight-piont buck that I had hunted for the past two years. I honestly don' t know what to think about the situation. I guess now I know how rack-attack felt when he found his buck as road kill. It is really kind of strange bec. this is the same path that I' ve been using to put out my mineral licks/trailcam, and he was never there before, yet it had to die before he shed his antlers, because is was excactly like I remember him from last fall. He was' nt extremely big or anything, in fact he wouldnt prob. go 120 maybe, granted, he has actually LOST mass from the prev. year. But the fact is I spent two years trying to get close to this guy, and now its over. After moving my stands countless times, only to see him where I was before, to passing up all the smaller bucks waiting for this one deer. It really kills me, you guys just don' t know unless you' ve had it happen. I think it was just old age, this was a really old deer, and like I said, he had been going downhill, I just hope it was' nt the result of another hunters bad shot over on another property[:@]. At least the good Lord blessed me to have his rack for the wall (even though its not excactly what I dreamed of[:' (]) I think I' m still going to hunt the area and wait for his brother, who is prop. bigger. I guess after you hunt one animal for so long though, it just isnt the same. I feel like I,ve lost a friend. [&o]
Old 06-23-2003, 07:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The beast is dead

Sadly that is just the way that nature works. Soon there will be other bucks that will take over the territory that this buck had, maybe they will have even a larger rack.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:17 AM

Hang in there buddy

Your right, its not the best feeling in the world. But their are always bigger and better out there.....somewhere

Got any pics.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:43 PM

I hope to soon be able to post some pics, i' m getting my trailcam pics developed as we speak, and hopefully I can post some of those at the same time(if they are any good) my camera was full of water, so i hope the film wasn' t ruined.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry for the loss but if he died of old age that' s just a smart old buck returning back to the creator. I am sure his sons are out there ready to follow in his foot steps.

would like to see some pics.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:48 PM

i know what you mean 4 years ago we had two twin bucks on our property (about 60 acres) and when we saw them they were both identical sized and racked 8-pointers. in 1999 i got one of them and ever since me and my hunting buddy (my dad) have been after the other one. we had seen him several times at night and soforth and this past year he was a huge 10 pointer with good mass until we found him laying in the edge of a field. just across the field there had been a lot of construction and all we can figure is he was in the field one morning and some idiot popped him. the thing that made me upset was they only cut his rack about an inch from the base of the skull. then they left him there to rot. anyway i have often walked by the ceder trees that he rubbed the crap out of and wondered what could have been.