Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can I hunt on this land???

Old 04-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Spike

Default Can I hunt on this land???

Unfortunately I have lost a lot of hunting land due to development of my area (the area I used to hunt has been leveled and houses are being built) I was driving on a back road and noticed a large patch of woods on the outside of town. I stopped to ask the one homeowner near the property about the woods and he stated he does not know who owns it? I pulled over to take a quick scout of the woods and saw absolutely no posted signs. I then stopped into the town hall to check the property records. They have one name of the property owner but no other info such as contact info, date of purchase, etc. Is this land ok to hunt or should I find new land? Keep in mind I live in a "suburban" area and hunting land is VERY rare to find. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

What state are you in? In most states, just because it is'nt posted, does'nt make it public property.
Over here, you would still be trespassing and/or poaching.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya need ta do some research on the land, if someone is payin the taxes it should be easy to acquire from the tax office, they have ta mail the bill some where.. maybe no one has paid the taxes on it in a long time, put a bid in on it.

as far as huntin it before that, hope you have full body armor...here, we shoot 1st and dont ask any questions.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My Spent Youth

One has to check the county deed recording offices and tax offices, for deeds, maps and tax records.

Illiteracy doesn't help when trespassing on someone's property.

It's gotten real fancy. Many of the counties have tie-ins with the internet, so you can check from home and not always spend time on a forum.

Which reminds me. I have a land locked piece of property to check out shortly.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

If you don't own it, or don't have permission to be on a property, it is a trespass no if's, an's, but's about it. (Exception being some parts of Canada and maybe a few states where if it's not posted you can hunt it). Course in my state, you can do it and be caught several times with the most a slap on the wrist and a $25 dollar fine. Which is cheap to these douche bags who might have to pay $500/day for a guided hunt in some states or provinces. But that's another story. I agree with halfbaked. Just shoot 'em and ask questions later. Does that indirectly answer whether it is ok the break the law?? Just my humble opinion. :>)
Old 04-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well...How about if I come into your house, eat your food and watch TV without your permission...Is that OK???

If you don't own it or have a signed lease, stay off of it...
Old 04-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMHO written permission is needed, just check the tax office as mentioned above. Part of the land I own doesn't have no hunting/tresspassing signs all over the place, but if I catch somebody illegally hunting there I will be calling the game warden.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Spike

do not hunt it because without any proper permission you wil be in jail... dont take the chance.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jackson Bowner
I agree with halfbaked. Just shoot 'em and ask questions later. . :>)

i think ya mighta mis-read...we dont ask any questions lol
Old 04-13-2010, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Its a wonder that the hospitals, morgues and coroners can handle all those bodies pouring in, given the number of folks who claim to shoot tresspassers on sight

Very good idea to actually track landowner down and get permission. But also keep in mind that if it was easy for you to find, then it is probably already being hunted. So, you need to get permission and check things out so that you dont end up hanging your stand 50 feet from somebody who has been hunting it for 30 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.