Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

just a quick question

Old 04-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Spike

Question just a quick question

Is there a way too keep deer from going bad,not putting ice on it right away?
Old 04-02-2010, 03:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get the carcass cooled down as soon as possible. Use ice bags if the weather is warm. I'll stick two in the body cavity and one across the shoulders. Unless you have a temperature and humidy controlled facility to age it, get it cut up the same day or the next morning if necessary. Once you get it off the carcass, your best bet is getting it cooled down and frozen ASAP.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

eat it!
get the cape off ASAP and in a garage or cooler spot. I like 2 bags ice in the cavity and cut up as quick as I can get to it.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

At the very least, grab a stick and prop it up in the body cavity after dressing it out, that way it will cool down a little while your walking back to your truck.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Spike

i butcher it, asap, and then age it in the fridge for a week then 3-5 days then freeze it, aging gives the regamortis time to settle, this way the meat wont be tough
Old 04-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Like some of the others have stated in other posts, it just depends upon the weather and Temp. I always try to get it out of the field ASAP and get a couple bags of ice in the body cavity. Check it in, the rush it to my butcher where he has 2 walk in coolers to put it in. If you butcher it yourself, then i would skin it out ASAP, let it hang if it's cold enough(40 Degrees or less) then get it cut up and into the freezer.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Spike

I've boned out deer & moose and put them in garbage bags and tossed them in a creek in Sept, had them there for up to 4 days in 70deg weather, no problems, mind you, these are not warmwater creeks, either.