Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hunt from a tree stand or the ground? >

Hunt from a tree stand or the ground?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunt from a tree stand or the ground?

Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

i usually hunt from the ground. i love getting up close and personal, the rush is soooo intense when you're at their eye level.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

i usually hunt from the ground too. it seems the older i get the less i want to be in trees. ive seen alot of deer this past year sitting on the ground with a very small chair and blind material. you have to use the ground to your advantage like the high points of ridges. ive done homework where i got my big one this year, they were coming up in a different area than in years past.so i moved a little. i think the deer used the different route because theres more cover.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Spike

Lots of good opinions on here, and I agree with lots that it depends on the location and setup. However, I have to say that I love the rush of still hunting. But then, that's very dependent on the conditions. Wow, I guess I'm saying that it all depends!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

While I have both a climber and ladder stands I mostly hunt from a ground blind. The climber is for hunts outside my back yard, the ladder stand is for bow hunting at home.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Spike

I normally will hunt from a tree, but will hunt from a ground blind. I do feel you need to get your blinds set up in advance to get deer accustomed to them, but I will use any technique to get me an oppurtunity at a bruiser
Old 04-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Spike

It's been my experience that a treestand does give you an advantage however not everyone likes less of a challenge. 90% of my bow hunting is spent in a stand. 100% of shotgun is on foot. That's just the way I like it though
Old 04-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Spike

98% of the time from a tree stand. Its hard to get away with movement on the ground and leave too much scent in the area creating a ground blind, or if you do put a blind up of some sort it takes the deer a little while to get use to it. Although you can be more mobile on the ground, i just dont feel as comfortable hunting on the ground as up in a tree unless the terrain doesn't allow for a tree stand.