Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hunt from a tree stand or the ground? >

Hunt from a tree stand or the ground?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunt from a tree stand or the ground?

Old 03-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Spike

Default Hunt from a tree stand or the ground?

What is your preference? I am wondering what most hunters do, since there is a good argument for both sides. What do you think? I personally hunt from the ground, but have decided to try using a tree stand more this year.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Spike

with this question it all depends on what terrain your hunting, but if your asking what i hunt in the most its the tree saddle. you can put that places climbers and blinds cant go, as well as where they can so i prefer the tree saddle and my parker compound bow..... let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor
Old 03-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Spike

The higher the better...And as m98jack said...Depends where your hunting...pines...swamp..clear-cut...etc..But in Georgia where i am..Higher the better..All my stands are 20 + feet and up
Old 03-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Like everything else things get over-rated

Tree sands of course never fit every location. Like west Texas.

But many inexperienced hunters wouldn't always know when to use a stand; when not use a stand. Some just follow the herd, wherever that takes them.

Close in during archery means the deer has a better chance of scenting you on the ground, than you seeing the deer first. If you have a lot of trees east of the Mississippi, it probably a good reason to use a stand.

However during gun season in cold weather, there is more visability, the leaves are off the trees and not having a tree stand enables you to move and change positions, more rapidly. If you have a good chance to see a deer before he scents you, I wouldn't opt for a tree stand. For this kind of hunting, my opinion, tree stands are over sold.

If you sit in one place, year in and year out, a tree stand might be the best solution to a hold fast hunter. But not all hunters hold to one exact place.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Almost always from a tree stand. A real advantage here in the deep south's heavy woods.

Last edited by Mojotex; 03-29-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I Hunt mostly from the ground, I have only killed 3 Deer from a treestand in 23 years. I also wish at one time or another that I was in a stand as the Big One came sneaking in behind me and I never saw him untill he blew and ran off. But then again a stand will get burnt out FAST! also some may say Im Crazy but if you shoot a Deer out of a stand and there's others with it, they will REMEMBER that spot and teach the other Deer to avoid that spot. If you ever had a permanant stand built in a good spot and shot a bunch of deer out of it as the years go by they will slowly start to use other trails away from it, out of range.
A potable stand is good so your never in the same place a-lot of the time, a climber is nosiy but are good if you can be quiet. I like Hunting from the ground as I can be as sneaky as possible and the Deer have a hard time patterning me, plus there may not be a tree around for the good spot you found. Also others wont Hunt your stand if you have one and burn it out if your not there. So this can go all ways.....but I do Hunt from a Big Permenant Stand Opening Day with My Wife, she's afarid of Bears! LOL
Ron (BP)
Old 03-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

I use both methods depending on my mood and the weather/wind conditions that particular day. I use a Ladder and Climber as well as hunt from the ground. I actually prefer the challenge of hunting on the ground, but stand hunting is too effective to ignore, especially during the rut.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Spike

I use both. Adequate trees are rare West TX, but I spend most of my time in one stand in one area of the ranch.
I also have 2 other ground blinds set up elsewhere, but typicallly don't see much game on that side of the ranch.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

I like stand hunting, and higher is generally better. You can see animals coming from a distance if necessary, and you generally will see them before they see you. But thats for deer only
BigBuck95
Old 04-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

75% tree stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.