HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer Feeder Trough (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/320306-deer-feeder-trough.html)

Buckmaster xX 03-24-2010 01:49 PM

Deer Feeder Trough

If anyone has made one of these could you post a list of what you made it out of and what it looks like. Im looking to make one , but there are so many different ways to make one. I want to make a good lasting one.

J Pike 03-24-2010 02:12 PM

Buckmaster I decided to build and start using feeders last summer and was going to build 2 gravity feeders using PVC. pipe like you are talking about, but I decided to (and glad I did) spend $50-$60.00 more on each one and build feeders that had feeder kits, timers etc. that I could control when, how many times per day and how much feed they put out. I know for a fact that the amount of extra money it cost to build each one was made up during the first month because of not having to purchase as much corn as I would have if the deer, coons, squirrels etc. could feed at them 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. By using a gravity feeder you will spend hundred's more every year than you would if you made a feeder that has a feeder kit, timer etc. And they took less than an hour to build and have worked great.Pike

55 gallon drum = free
American Hunter photo cell feeder kit from Ebay = $20.50
American Hunter leg bracket kit from TSC = $15.00
American hunter stainless steel lid from TSC = $15.00
Three 7 foot stainless steel fence post's from Lowes = $24.00
Total = $74.50

[/

Buckmaster xX 03-24-2010 03:45 PM

thats a nice feeder except im talking more of a trough were more than 1 deer can eat from. like a cow trough

timbercruiser 03-24-2010 05:40 PM

If you can find a plastic 55 gallon drum, cut it in half lengthwise (put some self tapping screws in the side of lids so it stays in place). Put 4 post in the ground using the size of the 1/2 drums to build around. Make a simple frame on your post, screw the drum halves to the frame and put a metal top on it (you might put a concrete block under the drum to support it). You can either make a long trough or two smaller ones.

Buckmaster xX 03-24-2010 08:01 PM

yea thats what i was thinking about. How bout the roof. How much clearance should it have?

aharley1 03-25-2010 03:25 AM

I made several & they cost about 50 cents each for the screws. Ii found some old privacy fence boards. Cut them to the length you want. Cut the two ends and you have a feeder the depth & width of a piece of privacy fence (about 9"). Works perfect for me, but like previously stated, once the game finds it, you can't keep it full.

Buckmaster xX 03-25-2010 03:56 AM

how high should the roof be?

timbercruiser 03-25-2010 04:27 AM

I would allow about 3 feet from the top of the trough and would use 5 foot or so sheets of aluminum or tin to cover it. If you have a place that is more protected from the wind it will help some.

Buckmaster xX 03-25-2010 06:06 PM

thanks alot