Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Southern Indiana-  How's the deer hunting??? >

Southern Indiana- How's the deer hunting???

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Southern Indiana- How's the deer hunting???

Old 03-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Spike

Smile Southern Indiana- How's the deer hunting???

Hey guys & gals-
I have a friend that is going to let me go up to Southern Indiana and hunt during archery season. Being from Texas, I don't know much about the deer populations, general size of deer, or trophy opportunities in Southern Indiana.
Can anybody help me out? I'm just curious if anybody knows the average body size, P&Y score, etc. Anything info for Southern Indiana will help me out, but specifically Orange County.

Thanks for your help- appreciate it.

TreestandPilot
Old 03-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the last few years, Indiana has improved more than any other state IMO. Don't know the specific numbers, but it's top notch, especially the southern half.
Since becoming a One Buck State, some real monsters are being killed every year.
You may have scored a real good spot, good luck!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info SuperRedHawk, appreciate it. That's encouraging!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Indiana may be the best kept secret right now. I used to live in Gibson Co. and saw some real slammers. Time your bow hunt for that first week and a half of November. The rut will be rocking then and gun season starts in the middle of the second week and goes on for something like four weeks. That is the states only down fall. If they would shorten up their gun season it would be another mecca for monster whitetails.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Indiana may be the best kept secret right now. I used to live in Gibson Co. and saw some real slammers. Time your bow hunt for that first week and a half of November. The rut will be rocking then and gun season starts in the middle of the second week and goes on for something like four weeks. That is the states only down fall. If they would shorten up their gun season it would be another mecca for monster whitetails.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

I am in the central part of the state and we have plenty of good deer here and i here that the southern part of the state has more big bucks.

i agree wait for the pre rut and rut. usually the last week of october through the opening day of gun season is the best for archery due to the action that you can see.

body size is average for northern deer most of the deer you see will be over 150lbs. get some topo maps of his land and do some research on the property and you should do fine. and dress warm because it is much colder here than down south
Old 03-24-2010, 04:50 AM
Spike

The news keeps getting better! Thanks guys!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt Dubois county and see plenty of big deer around here. My biggest buck was an 8 point that scored 134 and weighed 205 lbs Dressed. this year I shoe a 2 1/2 year old 9 pointer that dressed at 190. Last season my neighbor shot a massive buck. I believe it was a 24 pointer and scored in the 230's. # years ago 30 yrds from our property line our neighboe found a dead 21 pointer that scored 197. There are a lot of big deer in this part of the state. Id say the average weight of a Good buck around here would be 180+ and probably a score in the 140's. This is just my 2 cents... Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

so I was a little off on my numbers but this is a southern indiana buck. This big buck was shot by a hunter apparently named Tim Friedman near Dubois, Ind. The buck has 22 points, weighed 205 pounds and was said to have a 26-inch inside spread.
Attached Thumbnails Southern Indiana-  How's the deer hunting???-indianabuck_thumb.jpg  
Old 03-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

here is all of last years hunting information: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files...on_Summary.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.