Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting with .223??

Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Spike

This OP is sure trying to rationalize his .223 for deer hunting.....poor choice..... sure glad he not in our huntin' party.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

A wrist rocket and ball bearings will kill a deer also!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah it'll work, and you could catch a Bull Red on a 2 lb. fly line too!
The difference is that if your 2 lb. fly line breaks the Bull Red escapes to bite a hook another day! Make the SLIGHTEST mistake with the .223, it is a wasted, dead animal!
Just because it can work, doesn't make the .22's good choices, legal or not!
Old 03-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think people are getting the 223 confused w/ 22lr here. Ill agree its not a whopper stopper but it actually makes a pretty nasty hole in deer and hogs w/ soft point ammo, from what ive seen, and it makes a mess of coyotes. just because its a puny little cartridge doesnt necessarily mean the hole it makes, is puny.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

i know a guy who uses one sometimes but he mainly uses his shotgun you could kill a deer with a .22lr with the right shot placement
Old 03-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Spike

My little sister is going to deer hunt with a little 223 that we have killed deer with and have also loaned it out to friends for their kids to use and they have all killed deer and antelope with it. I have no problem with someone using a 223 for deer sized game but they need to know proper shot placement and practice practice practice. Ive also used my 22-250 for deer and antelope and i plan on using it next year.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
If you like arming yourself with what would be considered the minimum and only when everything goes right, knock yourself out.

Could you catch a shark on 2lb test? I'm sure it's possible.......
To even suggest catching a shark on 2lbs is just stupid (I would put a sarcasm smiley here if the mods would ever decide to put one on the list).
Old 03-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have those that are advocating against the .223 for deer ever use one on deer?

Most people wouldn't believe the unbelievable amount of damage that a .223 will do to a deers insides.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Spike

.22 cal bullets can produce some pretty spectacular kills. I know people who have shot moose and horses and cattle with a .22LR. I've read old stories where Inuit have shot polar bears,muskox,walrus & seals with a .222.
in one case people have no respect for animals,the other is making do with what u have to work with.
Most all of us would use whatever we had handy to survive if necc., for those of us who don't hunt to survive, some are stuck on stupid, some are "challenging" themselves to impress someone else, and some actually give a damn about what they are shooting at.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Have those that are advocating against the .223 for deer ever use one on deer?

Most people wouldn't believe the unbelievable amount of damage that a .223 will do to a deers insides.
That is if you don't hit alot of bone. I shot one once through the ribs and the slug didn't clear the chest cavity. Pieces of lead and copper all over. Yea I got him but i'll never go that light again. hey use what ever you want but a little heavier would be better in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.