Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dilemma????

Old 03-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Dilemma????

While walking in the woods yesterday, I came across a Doe with a broken leg or shoulder. She ran off but could not go far due to the injury. I just left her alone as I didn't want to disturb her any further. Should I let nature take its course or go back and put her out of her misery? I don't need the meat, and there is a good possibility she may be pregnant. What are your thoughts???????????
Old 03-10-2010, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

I had one this year as well .i let it go and she is doing ok now that snow is melting off. not sure about the birth process . She should be fine.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

She should be fine, but if you feel guilty, call you Game warden. (that is why they are there)
Old 03-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our local warden would not bother and has told me before to let nature take its course. Personally, I would shoot the thing to put it out of its' misery. That would be considered poaching so I would be sure I was set up to get away with it. I would do it cause I feel sorry for animals that are wounded.

On a different note, I was watching a TV hunting show last weekend. I think it was the Bone Collectors. They had a buck come in that had one leg swinging, but couldn't shoot it. After showing the footage to the Kinskys, they said "yep, that's....., he's been around here for years and must be pushin 6.5." The deer was making a scrape. So, they sometimes tend to be fine.

Like I said, if I am out in my private woods, carrying a weapon, and run across a deer that isn't able to get away because of an injury, I shoot it and feel better because I did.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I would check with Your local Game Warden or Conservation Agent so You don't get into trouble...sometimes the Deer will make it alright and other times they may be suffering too much and need to be put down!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

If there is no way that you need her, and she was still quasi-mobile, just let 'er go. She'll find ways to survive
BigBuck95
Old 03-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd let it go. I used to hunt with some guys at a deer camp who'd tell stories about a three-legged doe that survived for years on their property.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:19 AM
Typical Buck

Seen my limp legged deer last evening. moves slower then the rest but she is doing fine..
Old 03-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Our local warden would not bother and has told me before to let nature take its course. Personally, I would shoot the thing to put it out of its' misery. That would be considered poaching so I would be sure I was set up to get away with it. I would do it cause I feel sorry for animals that are wounded.

On a different note, I was watching a TV hunting show last weekend. I think it was the Bone Collectors. They had a buck come in that had one leg swinging, but couldn't shoot it. After showing the footage to the Kinskys, they said "yep, that's....., he's been around here for years and must be pushin 6.5." The deer was making a scrape. So, they sometimes tend to be fine.

Like I said, if I am out in my private woods, carrying a weapon, and run across a deer that isn't able to get away because of an injury, I shoot it and feel better because I did.

Yes, and he said he's been limping like that since 2.5.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with those recommending that you let her go. If she can find the time and place to rest and heal-up without infection setting in, my guess is that she'll limp her way through a normal life span.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.