Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: What Style Treestand?
Ladderstand
40.48%
Climber
21.43%
Hang-On
21.43%
Other; ground blind, no stand...
16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

What's your goto treestand?

Old 02-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What's your goto treestand?

When you use a stand, what's your goto style of stand you prefer the most? any why one over the other?

Last edited by salukipv1; 02-21-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I only use ladder stands, I have 6 of them.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have probably 8 or nine ladder stands. I like them better, I fell more secure, especially while climbing.

But i have a climbing stand (Summit Goliath), and some hangons too. I have nothing against them, and use them regularly. But I just like the feeling of being safer with a ladder stand.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Spike

I use a ladder stand at a club that I belong to because it's a lot more safe to leave it there. I have it in a good place and it's not far to walk to.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

I have several stands, I spend a lot of time building them as I spend a lot of time in them. The Key to a good stand is to make it comfortable, all my stands are permanent, (in that I don't move them) although I like ladder stands, I have never found one to be very comfortable, (and I will spend many hrs in the stand)
one trick I learned with the ladder stand to to attach a "lip" to it, not unlike a child's "Hi Chair" with this I can pull my bag up with my coffee,lunch,etc: and have a place to set it and my rifle, It looks a little "Crude" but I find it works well, My other stands always have a comfortable set, foot rest, and many will have a roof, if you are new at this, the best advise I could give is make the floor LEVEL!!

Not a great picture, but you get the idea

again you can get the idea

What a View!!

a quick permanate stand, brace it well

platform (Level)

simple frame, cover with anything pinebows, canvas, etc:

simple roof (not a very good one, but the only pic I have)

Good Hunting, Doc
Old 02-22-2010, 01:53 AM
Typical Buck

i have a climber treedstand, but i don't use it much. i find that i use it about 50/50 during early bow season. otherwise i usually stay on the ground against a tree.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use a metal ladder stand most of the time and second in usage is an elevated metal shooting house. Safety is the main consideration. I have a couple of climbers, but rarely use them.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Use a climber

I carry only one into and out of the hunting woods.

I only own one stand.

I don't get restricted to one place, especially if I made the mistake of picking the wrong place.

I'm cheap; you can get by with one climbing stand real good, when you're cheap. And you don't have to carry another stand, more than a half mile from your vehicle.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without a doubt, my self climber. I do have a permanent stand set up as do my sons and a few buddys. We all have one permanent stand but often use our self climbers. I use my climber about 70% of the time. I feel comfortable using it and it also allows me the opportunity to change locations whenever I feel the need.

I can be a stubborn hunter, one that overhunts one particluar stand. Especially if that stand has been special over the years. I soon found out that moving to where the deer are increases my chances for success. I now will move after 3 sits if there is no deer activity in that area. Even if history has taught me that stand may still prove to be the place to stay. My climber now always seems to be with me. I can move to a totally different piece of woods in my area, or simply move a few hundred yard away.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Spike

go to stand varies on the weather, wind, food source. My go to stands in Oct. are not the same go to stands in late Nov. deer change their travel routes do to crops being picked and in late Sept. the apple trees are where they are headed so it all depends on many other things. My favorite to sit in is my Summit Copperhead hang on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.