Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wood Pallet Ground Blind

Old 02-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wood Pallet Ground Blind

I am looking for input here!

I have access to a pile of standard wood pallets, and think I can make several ground blinds on my property for this next fall.

I am not trying to make anything too fancy, just simple shelter that I can setup in multiple locations this summer.

Has anyone done this..or seen any plans to make them?

I have a few ideas in mind-and just figured that this has been done before.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you'll just have to start from scratch on your own on this one. I have never done it, but im sure I could come up with some nice blinds in the end.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

We use them for ladder stands.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

DL, several years ago we did a little something like that, (I am going from memory now so I might be a little wrong) but it seems to me I had some pallet like material, and I inherited a few 6x6 or 8x8 posts and what I did was cut the posts at about 3 to 4 ft, I hauled these out to the swamp and bolted the posts to the pallet, pretty much free standing, then I used cheap stripping material to run up from the posts so I could attach the camo, They are still out there. I don't use them much as the swamp in that area has grown so much, (they are too heavy to move) I did hunt in one a couple of years ago and it has held up well, (the posts were treated) here are a couple of pictures, not very good but they might help. good luck Doc

another, it was during blackpowder a couple years ago
and the stand was in pretty good shape,

Last edited by DocD; 02-21-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's be easy if you wanted something simple. Set some 4x4's in the ground and just nail the pallet boards up longways on all four sides. To get more complex you could elevate it a little like DocD did up there, and enclose the sides with the boards, then cover it with a simple roof and put some tin on top. I've actually got a bunch of old fence panels laying by our cabin at our land, wanted to make ground blinds at field edges for turkeys, just haven't gotten around to it. This shouldn't be too tough though, just mess around with it til you hit on something.

Nice blind up there Doc, I like it
Old 02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help I was personally imagining using post hole diggers and 4x4's in 3' lengths to anchor each corner--or a metal fence post.

They don't have to be built to withstand hurricanes, but I would like them rigin enough to last a few years--otherwise there is no real point in doing it.

When it is finished I am thinking of cutting out some shooting windows and putting up some natural camo...sticks!

I just thought wood pallets would work as "pre-fab" walls--I am just trying to envision how I can stack 2 pallets on each-other to make a taller wall.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by desertloper
Thanks for the help I was personally imagining using post hole diggers and 4x4's in 3' lengths to anchor each corner--or a metal fence post.
Landscaping timbers bought in late Spring can be dirt cheap. Could sink them in down enough and nail the second pallet to them as well?

Mike
Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Spike

They don't have to be built to withstand hurricanes, but I would like them rigin enough to last a few years--otherwise there is no real point in doing it.

When it is finished I am thinking of cutting out some shooting windows and putting up some natural camo...sticks!

I just thought wood pallets would work as "pre-fab" walls--I am just trying to envision how I can stack 2 pallets on each-other to make a taller wall.

If you want to make them a couple pallets tall i would get some longer 4x4's ad bury them and slide the pallets on them and use them for corners, I dont know if I am describing this very well i can picture it in my head but I dont know if normal people would understand what is happening in my head
Old 02-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Nope, I feel the same way...I have it pictured in my head--but often times I over look an easier/better way of doing it

That's why I thought I would bring it up.

I appreciate the info folks
Old 02-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Nope, I feel the same way...I have it pictured in my head--but often times I over look an easier/better way of doing it

That's why I thought I would bring it up.

I appreciate the info folks
Me too, I get pictures in my head, which isn't too bad, but then,then the voices, Oh the voices, I have to lay down, it doesn't go away, and then the picture again!

Good Luck, Doc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.