Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is This a Big Buck? (Pic)

Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got these pictures about 100 yards away from the rub. I don't know if any of these guys could have made it. The buck with the forked G2s has the rack for it, but he's young and has a small body. The 6 pointer definitely has the body size, but his rack is on the decline and he's an old man.

It's fun knowing there's a big SOB out there somewhere. He should be bigger next year....
Attached Thumbnails Is This a Big Buck?  (Pic)-fork-209-1-.jpg   Is This a Big Buck?  (Pic)-alfalfa-20bucks-1-.jpg   Is This a Big Buck?  (Pic)-big-206-20alfalfa-1-.jpg  

Last edited by BarnesX.308; 02-22-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either of those two bigger bucks could of made the rub or it could even be a combination. This year while on stand I saw a 1.5 year old 4 pointer try to rub a tree that was about 10" in diameter. He hit it for around a minute or a little less but was rubbing the far side of the tree so i decided to go look at the tree later that day. There was barely a mark on the tree from him and he was trying to do some damage to the tree. About a week later I watched a small antlered 3.5 year old buck tear the same tree up. They went at the tree with the same approach and hit it for the same amount of time but due to the stronger neck and body of the 3.5 he did a lot more damage to the tree
Old 02-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Spike

ive seen many rubs large and small . ive had spike bucks rip up big trees on my cams and also big ones shred tiny trees smooth so unless u have a cam on it youll have to take a guess or measure the brow tine scrapes then ,where the tines would be scraping around the sides of the tree to determine a approx size

Last edited by BOOYAH; 02-22-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: mispelled
Old 02-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Spike

Big Bucks rub little trees, but little bucks dont rub big trees. Hope you get him.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Spike

as far as little bucks not rubbing big trees ,thats not true at all ,ive seen spike bucks rubbing 30 ft high pine trees that are about 15 in in diameter which was right next to the house ,we were gonna set up a stand to bag this big buck which we thought it was but the moultrie determined it was a spike .we were excited for a minute.
ive had button bucks rubbing on trees too with just their bumps and a 1.5 yr old that allready had dropped his antlers but was still rubbing and sniffing on 2in trees, so the size of the tree or buck doesn't matter where here in southern IL
Old 02-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

HAHAH oh my! I guess we can say one thing...he's at least 12" wide haha. Seriously though...that thing has to be a beast. That's the kind of rub you see in IA or IL. Make some mineral licks adjacent to think cover in the vicinity now...Then put your camera out in the beginning of may. He'll already have several inches of growth by then.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

are we sure its a rub?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

are we sure its a rub?
Yes. You can see where the tines gouged the tree as well as where the beams rubbed away the bark.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Jason...very interesting, and it makes sense. I wonder if you looked at rub tree diameters as a function of muscle mass (or age) what the results would be. Wonder is theres a certain diameter rub that a 2.5 physically cannot make.

Barnes...I just read that you believe the rub was made in January. That tells me that you found part of a matures bucks core area (the part of it that he frequents after the hunting pressure turns up). Scout that area with the snow, and hang a stand with late season (at the least) in mind for next year.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Barnes...I just read that you believe the rub was made in January. That tells me that you found part of a matures bucks core area (the part of it that he frequents after the hunting pressure turns up). Scout that area with the snow, and hang a stand with late season (at the least) in mind for next year.

The rub is right along a logging road that separates the woods and a field the deer love to visit at night. And close to those fields is the road. It's a night time area for them.

However, in the rut, the big bucks will cruise this area. Mainly at night, but they seem to cruise through any time as the does like bedding near by. I rattled in two bucks in the woods behind the field in 2008. One I shot. An 8 pointer with a 23" spread. I've seen jaw-dropping bucks in the field at night during the rut, but it's a different area in the day time. When the weather is nice, people like to hike around there. I should probably take time off and hunt during the week.