Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ballistic silver tip bullets?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

I shot the Nosler ballistic tips back when you had to reload 'em, and now that Winchester has the ballistic silvertip, I shoot those. They group really well in my .30-06 and I've shot deer at ranges from 10 yds out to 357 yds with not a single deer lost. In fact, I've never had one take more than 20 steps from where they were standing and most dropped like a stone. Some times I get complete pass through, some times I don't ... just depends on the range, angle, and placement but for my money, like Tony the Tiger says ............... ''They're Great!"
Old 02-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Spike

The BST in 150gr in a 06 and 130gr in a 270 are the best bullets for deer I have ever used. Most drop on the spot, the only one that did not was a perfect double lung on a big 10 pointer that went about 125 yards, this was a pass through with a blood trail Ray Charles could follow. The BST shoot great in both my BAR 06 and A-Bolt 270, both MOA. I have only had one in about 30 deer not be a pass through and that was from a range of less than 10 yards striaght down between the shoulder blades.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:25 AM
Spike

I am in the process of finding a new bullet to deer hunt with. After killing over 60 deer over the years with the original 150 gr SILVERTIP, I switched over to the BALLISTIC SILVERTIP and have lost two wall hangers. The last one just last week. I usually head shoot a doe or two each year and both lost bucks were shot right behind the shoulder, the last one at 30 yards. I've been researching the internet and it appears that the 150 and 168 grain BST's have a thinner jacket and softer lead core than the 180 grain BST. I want to continue shooting 150 grain bullets for the longer distances that sometimes present themselves. Going to try a box of Barnes solid copper. Hope they are as accurate as the BST's have been. I'll use the rest of the BST's I have on coyotes.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I get nice groups with my 270 Remington 700 with the silvertips..Died instantly

Old 01-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

If you hit a deer smack in the shoulder with a ballistic tip bullet he will run like mad and leave no blood trail.

I use the Nosler Partition this bullet breaks bone if needed and leaves plenty of blood if needed.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Last year's deer killed with 270 silver tips..died on contact..lung shot.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

BSTs pack a lot of punch depending on the caliber. The 30-06 is not a weak round either.

They can easily go through the shoulder. The shoulder will actually look like it exploded. When they hit bone, they do as they were designed and fragment out. I've caught the opposite side front leg on two of the three bucks I've taken with the BSTs, and it just blew the leg bone up.

The other buck I nicked the rib behind the shoulder, and the fragments expanded creating a 2" hole in the rib on the other side. The neatest looking hole I've seen the round create so far. Normally the round fragments, and you have many little holes.

They are like Noslers rounds, but are cheaper to purchase. A very violent round. I've come to like the partitioned rounds for hunting. They work, and they work well. However, you have to be willing to lose some meat for the stopping power. They do more damage then other rounds commonly used for hunting.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have reloaded ballistic tips for 20+ years with several different cartridges. If you put the bullet where it needs to be they will do there job no problem
Old 01-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I just prefer a good bonded bullet like the Hornady BTSP. Good for all round, anything that walks out shooting.
I'll second this. Its all I use, excellent bullet.

Can't really comment on the bullet the OP is asking about, as I've never used them. Lots of great options out there today that will give good and specific types of performance. I'm personally not a fan of ballistic tip bullets for deer - just based on what I've seen.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gregrn43
I have reloaded ballistic tips for 20+ years with several different cartridges. If you put the bullet where it needs to be they will do there job no problem
That is very true. Its what happens on shots that aren't exactly where they need to be that (to me) determine the type of bullet to use. I'd rather have something that's gonna do the job regardless of the shot placement - than one that only works if placed perfectly. I'm not saying they are bad...they aren't. They do exactly as they are designed to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.