HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   vanilla extract attractent (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/317231-vanilla-extract-attractent.html)

fishinty 02-12-2010 09:52 AM

vanilla extract attractent

I was wondering if anyone has used vanilla extract for attracting deer I have heard about people using this for hogs but not for deer. Do you put this on your corn or on a stump or on the ground.

NITEHAWKJS 02-12-2010 01:03 PM

I used for a long time as an attractant/cover scent. I put it on cotton balls in a 35mm film canister which I hung from a limb. I had deer come up and smell of it numerous times, I don’t know if they were attracted to it or did it out of curiosity. But it seemed to worked to some degree.

Mojotex 02-12-2010 03:43 PM

I know of no one that I deer hunt with now, or ever have, that has used or does use vanilla as a deer attractant. If it worked all that great, think about it, the shelves at the "hunting stores" and winter time deer woods would smell like vanilla wafers !!! So, I say save your vanilla for cooking.

Dhoytan 02-12-2010 03:55 PM

I use imitation vanilla, I put it on the corn for them to find it, works great been using it for years and dan fitzgerald had close to the same thing called "vanilla killa".

iSnipe 02-12-2010 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dhoytan (Post 3575799)

dan fitzgerald had close to the same thing called "vanilla killa".

The stuff definitely works. I've seen on many of his hunting scenes where deer came up and smelled the VK.

However, I've tried MANY lures and had deer do the exact same thing. One could never tell if the deer came to that location for the lure. I use lures to get them to direct their body or head in a specific position or spot to get a shot... especially when I was bowhunting.

I don't think a deer already coming up the trail, then smelling a lure on the way through, constitutes something spectacular.

iSnipe

treboryerf 02-12-2010 05:53 PM

Years ago there was a cover scent on the market called coverup,and it smelled like vanilla,I never tried it but knew people that swore by it.

iSnipe 02-13-2010 03:31 PM

The best cover-up in the world is cow dung. Even if it's not familiar in an area, like the deep woods or areas where there are no cows, it's awesome.

Take it and rub it all over you... especially your face.

Let me know how that works for you.

iSnipe :biggrin:

huntrfishr 02-13-2010 06:50 PM

All I can say is you're full of S#!T Snipe.
Sorry, I just couldn't help ....LOL......

NITEHAWKJS 02-13-2010 06:58 PM

iSnipe is right best cover scent going today but you need to spray down first with WD-40 so that it comes off easier at the end of the day. Lol

vabyrd 02-13-2010 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dhoytan (Post 3575799)
I use imitation vanilla, I put it on the corn for them to find it, works great been using it for years and dan fitzgerald had close to the same thing called "vanilla killa".

I prefer butter pecan. Dan Fitzknucklehead would pee on your shoes and tell you its raining.