Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

vanilla extract attractent

Old 02-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default vanilla extract attractent

I was wondering if anyone has used vanilla extract for attracting deer I have heard about people using this for hogs but not for deer. Do you put this on your corn or on a stump or on the ground.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

I used for a long time as an attractant/cover scent. I put it on cotton balls in a 35mm film canister which I hung from a limb. I had deer come up and smell of it numerous times, I don’t know if they were attracted to it or did it out of curiosity. But it seemed to worked to some degree.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know of no one that I deer hunt with now, or ever have, that has used or does use vanilla as a deer attractant. If it worked all that great, think about it, the shelves at the "hunting stores" and winter time deer woods would smell like vanilla wafers !!! So, I say save your vanilla for cooking.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Spike

I use imitation vanilla, I put it on the corn for them to find it, works great been using it for years and dan fitzgerald had close to the same thing called "vanilla killa".
Old 02-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dhoytan

dan fitzgerald had close to the same thing called "vanilla killa".
The stuff definitely works. I've seen on many of his hunting scenes where deer came up and smelled the VK.

However, I've tried MANY lures and had deer do the exact same thing. One could never tell if the deer came to that location for the lure. I use lures to get them to direct their body or head in a specific position or spot to get a shot... especially when I was bowhunting.

I don't think a deer already coming up the trail, then smelling a lure on the way through, constitutes something spectacular.

iSnipe
Old 02-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Years ago there was a cover scent on the market called coverup,and it smelled like vanilla,I never tried it but knew people that swore by it.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

The best cover-up in the world is cow dung. Even if it's not familiar in an area, like the deep woods or areas where there are no cows, it's awesome.

Take it and rub it all over you... especially your face.

Let me know how that works for you.

iSnipe
Old 02-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

All I can say is you're full of S#!T Snipe.
Sorry, I just couldn't help ....LOL......
Old 02-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

iSnipe is right best cover scent going today but you need to spray down first with WD-40 so that it comes off easier at the end of the day. Lol
Old 02-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dhoytan
I use imitation vanilla, I put it on the corn for them to find it, works great been using it for years and dan fitzgerald had close to the same thing called "vanilla killa".

I prefer butter pecan. Dan Fitzknucklehead would pee on your shoes and tell you its raining.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.