Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Running deer with dogs

Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

That's funny because we often run an area in the morning and take deer out of the same area later in the day when still hunting. We also still hunt MZ and Archery in the same area that is run with dogs the previous year. Always manage to take deer out of the same areas year after year. So how are these areas "left worhless for years to come for any still hunter". Please be more specific in your statement as many can prove it wrong.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

[quote=vapahunter;3575602]That's funny because we often run an area in the morning and take deer out of the same area later in the day when still hunting. We also still hunt MZ and Archery in the same area that is run with dogs the previous year. Always manage to take deer out of the same areas year after year. So how are these areas "left worhless for years to come for any still hunter". Please be more specific in your statement as many can prove it wrong.[/quot

I was wondering the same thing as years ago when I ran dogs we did the same thing ran dogs in the morning and took deer out of the same area in the evening still hunting.
Also to answer the OP we found that the best dogs to use were the smaller type, beagles or beagle/hound crosses as they didn't push the deer as hard as the larger types like walkers.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

If its legal and you can live with it, go for it, to me (and this is just my opinion), hunting with dogs or hunting over bait is not hunting, it is just shooting. I really laugh at those TV hunting shows from Texas where the so called hunters sit in a stand over bait, all decked out in there camy clothes (looking good) when they could just as well be wearing a Tux, and then they pay for what they shoot, Hell why not just go and buy a plastic deer and mount it, Doc
Old 02-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, DocD, what approved ways of deer hunting do you do?
Old 02-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

DocD, would like to see you hunt East Tex!
Old 02-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's foolish to knock other hunter's methods of hunting if it's legal.

I don't approve of several different ways I see deer hunters hunt, but I usually keep it to myself BECAUSE it's their right and it's LEGAL! I'm all for hunters having rights and each time another hunter knocks another's methods, it doesn't do any good... except for the bunny-huggers; they love to see unharmonious tension in our ranks.

iSnipe
Old 02-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

I said "If its legal, go for it" I could care less how people shot deer, but if you are shooting them at the dinner table, or running them down with dogs, really don't seem very fair, but hay!! If your state DNR says its OK. it is fine by me!! But you do have to chuckle a little when you watch those TV hunting shows where they are shooting out of the tower at farm raised deer, and when one gets shot, its "High Fives" all around, I'm not sure but I don't think any of those deer can qualify for the record book. How do I hunt deer? well, I do it the old fashion way--- I hunt em', But I agree with isnipe "I think it's foolish to knock other hunter's methods of hunting if it's legal."

Doc
Old 02-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

"I hunt em'? Thought I would get a better answer than that, maybe hide behind a tree, jump on their back and wring their necks........one on one, no bow-no gun.......
Old 02-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
"I hunt em'? Thought I would get a better answer than that, maybe hide behind a tree, jump on their back and wring their necks........one on one, no bow-no gun.......
I have always felt that the "hunt" was just as important (or more so) as the kill, a good hunter, is one who hones their skills, learns how to read the signs, find bedding areas, food areas, predict deer behavior. (or at least try to) find trails and find out when they are used, To Me
that is hunting. If all I had to do was put out some bait and wait and shoot I don't think I could do it. but when you get a deer by hunting it, be it a doe or buck, you know you got it because you hunted it. I don't care how anyone shoots their deer, I don't care if they "shine" them. if it is legal do it, but I wouldn't be real proud of a deer I shot over a bait. I have been hunting for many decades and have taken some nice animals, and have mounted a few, and each head tells me a story, that is why I have a few doe on the wall. we all have opinions, I just expressed mine. If you don't agree, that is OK, I'll still take ya hunting Doc
Old 02-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

Just do like most of the other trash. Go to the pound, get some flea ridden mutt, cage it up and starve it for a week. Then hunt with him, shoot a doe in the ass, let the dog run free and become someone elses problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.