HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Studying back yard buck (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/317116-studying-back-yard-buck.html)

dpj1030 02-10-2010 05:57 PM

Studying back yard buck

2 Attachment(s)
I see 7 points, And I'm guessing hes somewhere around 2- 2 1/2 years old I think he has potential but I live in Florida so the deer are kinda small. Its the biggest buck I've seen behind the property in probally 2 years. Is there anything I can do to develop his rack a little more than that next year or the year after? Do you think he could be outside the ears by next year?

rlpsystems 02-10-2010 06:29 PM

Wait....Didn't you just shoot him?

dpj1030 02-10-2010 06:42 PM

nope that is a totally different deer. This one is much widerr

Jimmy S 02-11-2010 05:26 AM

I would suspect that his rack would continue to grow over the next few years, since he appears to be rather young.

I don't think there's anything you can do to increase antler development at this point. I may be wrong, but now I think it's all up to his food source and genetics plus hoping he lives to a ripe old age.

marshall9779 02-11-2010 05:49 AM

You could always put out some mineral licks. Minerals are key to antler development. You can't guarentee that he'll use them but if you get them started early and keep replenishing you have a good chance that he might use them.

virginiashadow 02-11-2010 05:57 AM

Good luck dpj, that is a beautiful buck and I hope you send an arrow through him next year.

huntrfishr 02-11-2010 06:42 AM

If nobody else is bound to shot him then better wait and see.
It would also be wise to let any deer with big size genes to grow to full maturity and harvest the lesser ones so most of the deer will be bigger on that area.
It will only work however if nobody else is shooting the biggest deer in the area.
Kind of leaving the biggest bull to breed the cows to get big offsprings.

Bloodsaw 02-11-2010 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by dpj1030 (Post 3574328)
I see 7 points, And I'm guessing hes somewhere around 2- 2 1/2 years old I think he has potential but I live in Florida so the deer are kinda small. Its the biggest buck I've seen behind the property in probally 2 years. Is there anything I can do to develop his rack a little more than that next year or the year after? Do you think he could be outside the ears by next year?

My guess is he will be able ear to ear wide ( really no way to ll just a guess ) next year sporting 8 points. just feed him good, thats all u can do, and that still may not have any influence on his antler growth..one way to find out, IF he has a high chance of surviving then id wait 2 - 3 years on him, if not, take him next year

jaywalker 02-11-2010 12:32 PM

Very nice buck, congradulations!!!

dpj1030 02-11-2010 10:25 PM

Thanks for the advice