Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Studying back yard buck

Old 02-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Saw him in stand this evening just after the snow came through. It was the first time in 16 years it snowed and accumilated I guess disturbed him a little bit and he started movin around, Couldn't get a good shot because I was bowhunting this afternoon, If I would have had my rifle he would be done right now but maybe thats a good thing because rut is in full swing here right about now. I found a lot of super fresh rubs on some pines last week with the sap not even coming out yet so, GOOD sign from him, Hes been there rubbing away very recently.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

I would also go with the mineral block, even if it doesn't help this deer it will be beneficial to others, go to a farm supply store and get a good one, forget about the junk they sell at sporting good stores. That deer has potential Doc
Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Spike

There is many different producuts out u can feed during the summer months while antler growth is in prossess that will add a big part in his growth. but knowing the age of the deer also plays a big role in the harvest, like u say he is with ur guess a 2-2 1/2 yr old deer he may have genetic to where he will not get any wide only time will tell, my suggestion is to feed a high protein supplement during the summer mthsfor the next 2 yrs he just being a 2 -2 1/2 yr old still has 3 possibly 4 yrs to his peak and that the only honest way to know his full potential.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The older and larger he gets, he just may move out of your area. In the past this has happenned to me. Thought I would wait on a buck that I had been watching for a couple of years. Never saw him in the third year (he was a couple of years old when i first saw him). I checked with others that had been watching the same deer over that couple of years and none of them had harvested him or saw him in the third year. I can only guess he moved onto another area. At his rate of growth, I'm sure someone somewhere harvested a nice buck. If he looks good this year, I might take him for he may not see him again.