Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Trap?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gyro288
If you are going to try it.Here are a couple of tested SAFE traps.
I really hope your not dumb enough to try bungee cords or a matress.
I guess you must have missed the part where he said "Easy" and probably did not want to put in two hours of work and extra money into it. I've known plenty of people that use the bungee cords and have gotten many antlers. Very cheap and very easy.

Also, before you call people dumb on here, let me give you a nickel worth of free advice. There is a difference between "your" and "you're". I normally don't care about grammar errors, but when you call other people's ideas dumb then I don't mind pointing them out.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Spike

townman are you trying to catch deer or antlers. for me the whole idea is to find the antlers with as little stress to the deer as possible.with all the snow we have had this yr and im sure there is more on the way.the deer are already stressed enough we dont need to put any more pressure on them.when the majority of the snow melts sheds should be easy to find and if you know anything about how bucks act at this time of yr and under these conditions that should be able to find multiple sets in a small area.so please take it easy on the deer there already stressed out enough.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Spike

for all of you that are woried that the deer may get caught remember they encounter this stuff in many different places. A woods I hunt has a wire fencerow that is now grown into the trees and I have never seen a der caught in them. Also how many cattle pastures are around, old farm equipment, and other odds and ends. Deer are smart and all you big buck hunter realize this during the season but assume they get stupid after the season

Im not saying that it doesent happen but give these critters a little credit. but that also doesn't mean go stringing wire all over either I think if a person does it they should use some common sense

As for ideas for antler traps that seems safe is fill a 5 gal. pail half full of cement let it dry and then throw in some corn. The antlers that are ready come off and those that aren't strike out and don't get any corn
Old 02-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by shedman6o
townman are you trying to catch deer or antlers. for me the whole idea is to find the antlers with as little stress to the deer as possible.with all the snow we have had this yr and im sure there is more on the way.the deer are already stressed enough we dont need to put any more pressure on them.when the majority of the snow melts sheds should be easy to find and if you know anything about how bucks act at this time of yr and under these conditions that should be able to find multiple sets in a small area.so please take it easy on the deer there already stressed out enough.
that picture is from a couple years ago were trapping deer for part of a project at my school, we then ear tagged them and put radio collars on some of the does, im not sure what the project was for or if they did anything with it at all but it was fun to be able to handle the deer
Old 02-15-2010, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

i had a friend ask me this same question about 10 yrs back. i told him, i bet i could snare a whitetail and the next morning i did snare one. o took a piece of stainless tie wire about 30ft long ,doubled in in half and stuck the end in a cordless drill and twisted while he held the othe end in a pair of pliers. i then ran the looose end thru the loop where it was doubled to make a snare. i tied it to a 4in tree along a trail,hung the loop about 2ft off the ground and dumped a bucket of corn just on the other side. the next morning we went to check the snare and there laid about a 120lb spike buck with the snare drew up around his neck. he was not hurt at all,he was just araid to move with the snare on his neck. it didn't look like he had fought it at all ,he had just laid down. surprisingly he let me walk right up to him close enough to cut the snare and turn him loose. i guess i was lucky he didn't kick the crap outa me. it can be done,but its not legal.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

well..... I am spechless! snaring a deer? antler boogie traps? uh?
and I thought I was crazy......