Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Trap?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

What do yall mean by antler trap?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard of an old box spring and you throw corn in it and hope that the antlers get knocked off on it. any king o obstructions will do with some bait.
the other kind of traps i have heard of them getting caught in hog traps, tehy can be caught with snares on a trail , extreme survivial tatics with a loaded branch with a spike on it . I saw it some where in a survival manual. I also have heard of a 5 gal bucket buried in the ground with an x cut in the bottom yhat is facing up and tied off. the deer step thru the x and he can't pull his foot out . kind of a foot hold trap.
all of this is probably illegal . I have also heard of fish hooking them with a cable and a hook placed in an apple high enough to make them reach up for it . I 'm not sure of the last as being true or myth ?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

make a rectangle box...bout 2X2X6 feet long ....put post coming up from the middle of the sides and put a small rope from post to post...when the deer eat and lift their head, the rope hits the back of the antler and hopefully knocks it off.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

You can use a cattle panel as well for this. Put a post in the ground and bend the panel around the post in a V shape and put corn close to the post. Antlers will get knocked off as they try to feed. With big panel you can sometimes make two V's with a couple posts. There are some other ideas out there too, but a lot more complex.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

And if a deer gets its antlers into this baited "trap" and the antlers aren't ready to come off?

Or a deer get ino some old box spring with it's leg(s)?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

You beat me to it Uncle Matt! I can't see how people use rope, chicken wire and things like that. Ive seen deer drop there antlers as early as late december and as late as April. I can't imagine what would happen if a deer who wasn't ready to drop until April got his antler caught in a trap like that in February.

I personally wouldn't make one but have seen some good ideas. Im not against them but wouldn't want to risk injuring a deer that could be a trophy two years down the road to get an anter or two.

The one that I have seen that people have been using that I think is pretty good is using bungee cords attached above some feed such as corn. When they go for the corn and bring there head up if the anters are at all "Loose" the bungees will give them a decent jar. If for some reason the antlers get caught, the elasticity in the bungee will give the deer some "Give" to pull away or even break. This takes nothing more than a few cheap non-heavy duty rubber bungee cords and a couple small trees next to each other and some corn. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Spike

take cattle fence make a 4ft circle and stake it down throw corn or whatever you want in it and you will find them on the ground....
Old 02-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Spike

If you are going to try it.Here are a couple of tested SAFE traps.
I really hope your not dumb enough to try bungee cords or a matress.
Attached Thumbnails Deer Trap?-trqo.jpg   Deer Trap?-trp.jpg  
Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Spike

Talking

it is possible to make a deer trap need a DNR permit to trap um though this is one we have used
They arent very good pictures of the trap but it is basically a big plywood box with sliding doors on both ends.
One end has snow fence blocking the hole.
Traps are baited with corn and there is a trip wire inside the trap that causes the doors to close

Old 02-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

I thoght the same thing Matt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.