Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Antler color phase

Old 02-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Spike

Default Antler color phase

Why do whitetail deer have different color phases of antlers.
Ive heard its genetics, what they eat, what they rub on, where they bed, many differnt answers. I have seen deer with white antlers one year and have chocolate horns the next. If someone has some insight on this am interested to listen.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Spike

Default Antler color phase

thankyou for not being sarcastic.i realize that some people may not believe in hunting wild game, but there are alot of people that do hunt game. i asked a simple question about a sport that i have loved since i was 16 years old. its not like i killed bambi, the deer i killed was injured.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Spike

horns get stained from the blood in the velvet,if a deer starts rubbing the velvet off before his horns are totally hard set & there is still blood in the velvet it will stain them,from what i have seen hunting around different places in Tn the it can be just a local trait to rub early,5 miles away you may never see a chocolate colored rack,it defintly helps them to grow bigger when the white horns don't make them as easy to see,i have yet to get a dark set but maybe someday it will happen,mike300wm