Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ladder Stands on Public Land

Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Spike

Default Ladder Stands on Public Land

I was wondering what your opinions were on this. I found a ladder stand that was put up on public land. Whoever put it up, removed the bottom part of the ladder (About 2 feet of it). But if you roll a rock over and underneith it, it is easy to climb up in it. Is it ethical to hunt in someone elses stand if they place it on public land?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two things come to my mind: Golden rule, and what the law says about it.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
Two things come to my mind: Golden rule, and what the law says about it.
Well, the law says that no permanant stands are allowed on this public property. But there is one there anyway
Old 02-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

They removed the bottom part of the ladder stand for a reason.
I would never use anyone else's stand, even on public property, unless I talked to the owner first. I feel empathetic with subjects like this. I think how I would feel if someone used my stand without permission.

I'm not sure what the law says. Whether the stand is open to all to use if it's on public land. It still does not make it right. Courtesy and respect for fellow hunters is in order here.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by markmon007
Well, the law says that no permanant stands are allowed on this public property. But there is one there anyway
So there is a law that says no permanent stands are allowed on public land. Is a ladder stand considered a permanent stand? If the answer is yes, are you still asking if it's ethical to use a stand that goes against current laws?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

If no one is in it, or using it....use it!

If a guy walks up on you in his stand and says hey you're in my stand, kindly get down and go hunt elsewhere.

If someone removed the bottom rungs, I've seen stands like that I probably wouldn't try to climb in it, but if it's just there, why not.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

I'm sure the guy set it up knowing that others would probably use it. I would use it and if he shows up and wants to hunt then get down from it.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Spike

NO its not ethical you or the stand left on public land.Go find a different place to hang a stand.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, if the owner of the stand found your ATV parked and decided to take a ride, how would you feel about that? Oh, they'd give it back when they found out it was yours, ...

C'mon guys. Whether it's on public land or not, you didn't buy the stand, you shouldn't use it. No-brainer. That you're thinking about using it at all .....

If you have a problem with it being where it is, contact your DNR/G&F and see what they say about it.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Id say use it. Your telling me that if someone put a ladder stand up 15 years ago on public land than he should have that area for the rest of his life as long as he isn't sitting there? He might as well buy 6 ladder stands, set them up 50 yards from each other and have a whole area for the rest of his life until the stands rot away. If there is a stand there and no one is in it, I say go ahead and use it. The stand could have been put up 6 months ago and the guy only uses it once a month. If he comes to use it, kindly get down and try another spot. Its PUBLIC land! In college there were four stands I passed every day of gun season (10 days long) and not once did I see anyone in any of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.