Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ladder Stands on Public Land

Old 02-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

I live near public land and often find stands while hunting. I have never hunted out of any of them, because I would be upset if I had a stand that someone else was in when I got there. It's just curtious. There are a lot of places to hunt, and I'd rather spend my time hunting than arguing with someone about being in there stand. Even if they ask you nicely to leave, you have to find a new spot and get there and that takes time out of you hunt.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS
No it is not everyones property. You have access and most public land has more rules than private land. here in NC we have areas called Gamelands and each Gameland can have different rules. One near me only permits hunting on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Public land is owned by the State, a company or the Federal Government.
Well of course laws, regulations, rules, etc. will apply on public land. I was not implying that hunters are free to do anything they want on public land. But everyone is free to use public land within those rules.

And in my experience at most public lands, the rule is that any stand, blind, etc. left on public land is available for everyone to use. This is because the land is public (read: available to everyone). Allowing someone to reserve public land simply by placing a stand on it would result in the land no longer being public.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

i would not hunt it, you don't know how safe it is for starters, having the bottom portion removed, and to me, it would be unethical
Old 02-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

I look at it this way.

A) If I was hunting private land and was the only one with permission I would use the stand b/c the owner doesn't have the right to be there.
B) If I had permission, along with several others, whom I did not know very well, I would not use it unless I the owner said I could or I asked permission.

Now public land is another set of rules.
A) If have hunted the public land several times and never saw activity there, I would eventually use the stand.
B) If the owner came along I would leave the stand. I would also remind him/her that this stand is illegal.

C) Which brings me to final point. I personally don't care if a stand is on public land. I would not put one up on public land but if there is one up... in my opinion... anyone has the right to use it.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Find out who's it is and get permision.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just because a stand may be on public land... and is legal to use if the owner is not there, ...

...doesn't make it any more right to use it.

For myself, ethics come into question and no amount of legality would have me climbing up into someone else's stand.

iSnipe
Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Here's an example why I won't use someone else's stand public land or not.
If by chance I spook a deer while I was on that stand you won't see that deer at range without it checking out the stand closely every time he is in the area. With bowhunting it's hard enough without someone else ruining your chances. So because I expect others to be as considerate as me, I won't use it. If it has been in one spot too long, as in public land then I'd leave a note or check with whoever is in charge of enforcing the rules.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Borrowed the use of a metal ladder stand, once

Found a unused ladder stand in the woods, years ago, and used it once. Treated it like it was my own and stayed a few hours, during a weekday hunt on public land.

Appreciated using it. I never afterward, desired or bought a ladder stand; never had a desire to carry in and out, a ladder stand; never wanted to leave a tell tale sign that I thought that immediate place was a good place to hunt; didn't like the open seating arrangement. Thought leaving one, all alone, was a good invitation for having one stolen.

No, I appreciated the hunter who decided to leave the ladder stand in the woods. Saved me a future investment I wouldn't have wanted. And he still had his good stand, if someone didn't come along later and steal it.

Last edited by Valentine; 02-15-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Jimmy S
They removed the bottom part of the ladder stand for a reason.
I would never use anyone else's stand, even on public property, unless I talked to the owner first. I feel empathetic with subjects like this. I think how I would feel if someone used my stand without permission.

I'm not sure what the law says. Whether the stand is open to all to use if it's on public land. It still does not make it right. Courtesy and respect for fellow hunters is in order here.
Well Said!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Spike

i would say its ethical! he knows its not legal to keep it out in the woods. if he doesnt want you to then he should of taken it down. Plus if he left it there, where ppl can see it, i doubt there's a big buck there anyways. I've encountered these situations a few times. once there were corn spread out used as bait. i was pretty ticked. another time this guy had his name on it. thought that was hilarious.