Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ladder Stands on Public Land

Old 02-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

I'm only asking that because we don't post our farm or limit hunting on it at all. I find stands all the time. And I often hunt out of them. I've never had a problem with anyone, I just come down, tell them them who I am, what I saw and and ask if they've been having any luck. give them an update on whats going on with the farm and sometimes where we've been seeing deer. Likewise, I've found ppl in my stands, I have generally just moved to another spot. I enjoy being in the woods. Doesn't matter who's stand Im in. Or if someones in mine. Im thankful to have the time out there, and most ppl in my area and that hunt our land seem the same way.
-Jake
Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the poster that said this should be a no-brainer. It's not yours, don't use it. For those that feel it's ok to use the stand since it is on PL and against the law (assuming it IS against the law), how far a stretch is it from using it to taking it home with you? After all, it shouldn't have been there, right?

Now, if I knew it had been left there for days/weeks without use, my thinking may change. Or, if the stand was left on PL that was a high pressure area with limited acreage.

But my initial assumption would be the guy likely spent time scouting the area and put it up the day/night before.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
What if you find someone elses stand on your own property? Then would you hunt out of it?
-Jake
That's another thread - nothing to do with public land.
Private land the owner sets the rules.

Last edited by SteveBNy; 02-04-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is easy. If you didn't set it up and it is not your stand DO NOT USE IT. I don't think anyone here is setting up stands for others to use in that situation. I really can't believe anyone really thinks it is OK to use. As a hunter you should rely on yourself not take advantage of others hard work. I am sure lots of SLOB hunters would use it. When you are using someone elses stand you are spooking deer, scenting the area up and educating the deer of the stands placement. It is sad when others do not respect others property.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had tree stands stolen, and caught persons sitting in my stands walking in to hunt them. Nothing more pisses me off. Therefore I never mess with anyone elses stands. 1x I did use my brothers stand as he said I could try it. Once I got in it, I wasn't comfortable or liked how he set it up. So there's another good reason to remain away form others. Its might not be safe or suitable for you. Or ever wonder if someone might've setup a booby trap!!!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's different if your hunting with the person that puts up the stand and you switch stands while hunting together. It's all about respecting another persons property and right to hunt. Before I place stands I check the entire area and try to stay 150 to 200 yards away, because that is how I would like someone to treat me in that situation. If someone had a stand there first that season, move on "You Are A Day Late And A Dollar Short Again".

The poster that went in and setup next to a guy and his son intentionally is some great hunter. What a Sportsman, nice job.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I'm only asking that because we don't post our farm or limit hunting on it at all. I find stands all the time. And I often hunt out of them. I've never had a problem with anyone, I just come down, tell them them who I am, what I saw and and ask if they've been having any luck. give them an update on whats going on with the farm and sometimes where we've been seeing deer. Likewise, I've found ppl in my stands, I have generally just moved to another spot. I enjoy being in the woods. Doesn't matter who's stand Im in. Or if someones in mine. Im thankful to have the time out there, and most ppl in my area and that hunt our land seem the same way.
-Jake
You are in a different situation, it's your farm so you have the upper hand. If you did that on someone elses land I am sure you eventually run into a serious problem.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

Curious what you think about stands on public land that have been left there for years on end. I hunt turkeys on public ground the last 7 years. In one area I hunt, there are no less then 6 tree stands (ladder type) that I see each spring in the exact same position I saw them the previous year. I have even placed logs on the steps that would have to be moved to get into the stand to check and see if they are used next season. Come back and find the logs like I left them. Whose stands are they now?? Should you be able to hunt them?? They obviously are not being used. Indiana laws state that they can't be left behind. It is next to impossible to get them out as the area is difficult to get to with just a gun and turkey vest. We believe that a provate prop owner that had land boardering the public ground with easy access was hunting them. He since sold the property. New owner allows no access.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

In most places on public land they should be taken down at the end of the season. Then everyone gets a fair shake next year at scouting and setting stands without having to work around dead stands. If it were a problem with stands being "Years Old" you may want to take it up with the DNR. If they are that old they are probably not safe to hunt out of. That is much different than hunting out of a fresh stand.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Spike

UPDATE: Ok, just to clear up a few things. I have never been up in the stand. I use a climber. I happened to find the stand because I went to a good spot at night before sunrise, climbed up the tree I selected and when the sun came out I noticed a ladder stand 5 feet from me. My hunting buddy just got into hunting and does not have a stand. He has a ground blind. So I sent him a text message that there was an open ladder next to me. He came over and climbed up in it.

Since then we have been back 2 other times. No one has touched the ladder stand, and he has climbed up in it and he never hurt it. I am sure if someone walked up on it, he would kindly get out. He brings his ground blind with him, and if the ladder is empty, he hunts it.

Thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.