Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ladder Stands on Public Land

Old 02-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly if it was my stand and I came upon someone in it I would think poorly about that person. Doesn't really matter, I think most people deep down know it is not right. Give a guy some space and when you need it he will too. Do you really want someone walking under your stand to get in the stand next to you where your friend is perched? What if, while you were just about to draw on a nice buck, the owner of the stand came walking up to hunt. Now if you had given him some space maybe he would spook the deer to you or not spook it at all. I know people cross paths, but if I can avoid it I will. Even if it means not sitting on the best spot on the property. Remember it doesn't take much to burn out a stand or an entire area.

This year I was setting up a stand (For My GF) in an area I had my eye on for a while. This is on private property where I have permission and so do several other hunters. I was setting up the climbing sticks when I look over 40 yards away and see a new stand setup. It wasn't there when I scouted the day before. This isn't a fun thing but as adults we have a responsibility to do what is right and safe. I broke my setup down and moved on. I setup in another spot a couple of hundred yards away.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Spike

public hunting grounds are public if you set a bench on public ground ppl will sit on it I have no problem using it if I know its not in use if he complains Ill call the dnr and he will lose the stand If I would set up a stand I would not have a problem if someone would use it if Im not using it why not and if they get one ill tell them good job and prolly help them out I might make a friend and get hunting privliges elsewhere
Old 02-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Frosty452
public hunting grounds are public if you set a bench on public ground ppl will sit on it I have no problem using it if I know its not in use if he complains Ill call the dnr and he will lose the stand If I would set up a stand I would not have a problem if someone would use it if Im not using it why not and if they get one ill tell them good job and prolly help them out I might make a friend and get hunting privliges elsewhere

Really tough to read without punctuation of some kind - so I didn't.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Steve,

He said that if it is on public grounds it is basically fair game. If you find a stump, bucket, bench or well used log on public grounds and sit there, it is practically the same thing. He also said that if it was his stand and it was set on public grounds he wouldn't mind a bit if someone used it. He also stated that he'd congratulate anyone that got a deer from said stand and even help them drag it and hopefully make a new friend...

Maybe ppl in our areas are just much nicer, but I agree. We help total strangers haul deer several times every year. Help them track them too. And I wouldn't mind one bit if someone used one of my stands if I had it set on public ground. Just one hunters opinion though.
-Jake
Old 02-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Spike

i say hunt the stand if the owner shows up then let them have it they own the stand not the land.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

I do not get most of you. We are talking about an illegal activity, leaving stands on public property.

If I found a stand where I wanted to hunt, one day perhaps it is legal, any more and I would hunt there, either on the ground or in my own stand.

If the owner showed up I would expect HIM to vacate the area. If he did not I would call the DNR and try to get hunter harassment charges against him. I would also inform about the illegal stand. If I got there first that day he sould hunt somewhere else and say shucks just like I would if I found a PERSON in my spot. If the stand is there a long time, say after the season, I may even remove the stand. It is LITTER on state property.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:45 AM
Spike

Thanks jake I get carried away some times and forget puncuation
Old 02-05-2010, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ladder stands are not permanent, so is it legal? Beats me, depends on where you are, some places you have to take em all out as you hunt, some have to be out by a certain date, some don't have rules.

Would I hunt in that stand, heck no! Wouldn't feel right, but also, how do I know he set up the stand safely, didn't do something else to it etc.

I would vacate the area the first time, but I might do something to tell me if he's actively hunting it, something harmless, stick across the steps etc. If it's still there a week later I wouldn't hesitate to hunt there, but not in his stand. It's public land, you can't "reserve" it. If I was hunting it and he came along and caused a fuss, I'd probably move on, life's to short to get in stupid fights, I'd have more than 1 spot picked on any piece of property anyway.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

Well how would you feel if it were your stand and someone eles climbed in it? I agree that public land is just that public, but the stand is not yours and you should not climb in it! But if it is a good spot and no ones there you can always hunt there but out of your own stand or on the ground,but you will have to deal with the fact that you know ahead of time that someone may show up to use that stand and be willing to accept how that will effect your hunt!
If we don't respect each other, how can we get the respect of others!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
Well how would you feel if it were your stand and someone eles climbed in it? I agree that public land is just that public, but the stand is not yours and you should not climb in it! But if it is a good spot and no ones there you can always hunt there but out of your own stand or on the ground,but you will have to deal with the fact that you know ahead of time that someone may show up to use that stand and be willing to accept how that will effect your hunt!
If we don't respect each other, how can we get the respect of others!

If I put a ladder on public property I would expect people to hunt in it, and I would hope people would not steel it. I would be a fool to put up a stand on public property and then get pissed if I found out someone was hunting in it.

But then again, it is just my opinion, I appreciate you all sharing your opinions with me as I am fairly new to hunting (2 years).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.