HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   who pays to hunt? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/31632-who-pays-hunt.html)

deerhunter1224 06-13-2003 09:36 PM

who pays to hunt?

who pays like on a lease to hunt a woods or are you lucky to have your own woods to hunt in?

halcon 06-13-2003 10:21 PM

RE: who pays to hunt?

I' m lucky now that on one side is a national forest and on the other is a lumber company that has thousands of acres that is open to everyone . I don' t have to go far at all to hunt deer and elk both .
I have paid tresspass fees though when I was hunting in some of the other states and it can get pretty expensive ,what with non resident tags and everything .

dep214 06-14-2003 07:27 AM

here in texas it can get very expensive. the working man does not have many options. i lucked into a good place right on a river.the owner is great also. he charges not near what others charge.

timbercruiser 06-14-2003 10:20 AM

I belong to a club that leases all of the land it hunts and I also own some property I hunt. It is really getting hard to even find land that is available for leasing in Alabama.

Angus74 06-14-2003 07:26 PM

I have 250 acres of my own to hunt so Im pretty lucky in that way, but I also lease 500 acres for rifle season, its very open and great with a gun. Ive killed a lot of good bucks both places and am trying to find one more farm to lease this year for bow hunting.

SwampTHING 06-14-2003 08:31 PM

Kind of,, I do repairs to the property for the owner. This year so far its 8 hours of saw mill time at $50 an hour. In July Ill be finishing the 380' of deck I started replacing 3 years ago(its a 100 year old deck and frame that adjoins a lodge and a smaller cabin,, not an easy job). Plus plumbing work, road repair, a new generator, firewood........

Its worth it,, I get a hunt camp on 1000 acres of whitetail heaven for 6 days a year,, the only 6 days its hunted!

Plus I can use the property any other time I want,, just notify the owner.

Benelli_shooter 06-14-2003 09:07 PM

Call me old fashioned, wierd or whatever, but I have a thing against paying to hunt somewhere. If the landowner is not going to hunt, and you a respectful person that won' t do something stupid damaging his property, why shouldn' t he let you hunt on his land? Especially if you share the meat.
I can' t imagine charging someone to hunt on my land.
I have mostly hunted on property I own.
I can maybe see charging someone if you are providing a service such as a guide, lodging, equipment, or maybe dedicated wildlife food plots.

I am not saying that commercial outfitters should not charge. They have there work cut out for them, insuring a nice harvest each year. I would love to go out west and hunt Elk or Mule deer, but I can' t even afford the non-resident tags!

It won' t be long until all the land will be bought up, and nobody will want to part with it, let alone let anyone hunt it without charging crazy fees!

Swamp thing...
that sounds awesome!

gulfcoasthunter 06-15-2003 12:50 AM

I own 230 acres in Ga. I also lease another 200 acres and about 800 acres in Fl. I got tired of fighting the crowds on the wmas here plus they are dissapering fast.

buckshot47 06-15-2003 09:06 AM

I' m in a hunting club in Ga. we lease about 1000 acres it is well worth it. We control who hunts and where so you don' t have to worry about someone walking up on you at daylight on opening day like you do on WMA' s

Deerslayer_37 06-15-2003 09:30 AM

We are very fortunate and own a 750 acre tract in Wis, plus a bunch of other assorted lands totalling about 300 acres and in iowa we have two tracts of 650 and 80 acres. We hunt all our Wisconsin properties, but only deer hunt in Iowa when we draw tags. We dont bowhunt those Iowa lands either, so we let the first few hunters that ask hunt them for free. They have taken several nice bucks among themselves, the biggest a 168 typical. They treat the land with respect and dont hurt anything. We allow them to put up their own treestands wherever they want. All we ask from them is to respect the land and the game. Hunting on leased land shouldnt be charged, and some of the prices some people pay are rediculous.

slayer