Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
other hunters on my land! help >

other hunters on my land! help

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

other hunters on my land! help

Old 01-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Spike

Default other hunters on my land! help

Alright so i was out messing around today with my sks and my dogs. i figured i would set my camera up since i found a good deer trail with the snow on the ground. So i get it set up, and start to head back to the truck. Then on my way back i see a jeep coming across the field heading to the timber i just set my camera in. i stand there and watch them and see them head off into the woods. Now for some background, this land im messing around on is owned by my dad, it is way off in the back corner of a new subdivison we are building, but there is no reason or any one that has permission to be back there except me. anyways, i see them get back in the truck 2 mins later and drive off, because of the snow it was super easy to track where they went. so i walk back in the timber and see a whole bunch of foot prints around a tree that over looks a huge amount of deer tracks. it seems they took their camera out, if i had to guess. So the question is, what do i do? im going to keep checking the area, and see if i find any of there gear, if so i would guess im gonna take it down, im the only person that can hunt that land, but one good thing did happen, they led my straight to a deer trail that i didnt know was there! What should i do!?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:55 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by brandonxc
Alright so i was out messing around today with my sks and my dogs. i figured i would set my camera up since i found a good deer trail with the snow on the ground. So i get it set up, and start to head back to the truck. Then on my way back i see a jeep coming across the field heading to the timber i just set my camera in. i stand there and watch them and see them head off into the woods. Now for some background, this land im messing around on is owned by my dad, it is way off in the back corner of a new subdivison we are building, but there is no reason or any one that has permission to be back there except me. anyways, i see them get back in the truck 2 mins later and drive off, because of the snow it was super easy to track where they went. so i walk back in the timber and see a whole bunch of foot prints around a tree that over looks a huge amount of deer tracks. it seems they took their camera out, if i had to guess. So the question is, what do i do? im going to keep checking the area, and see if i find any of there gear, if so i would guess im gonna take it down, im the only person that can hunt that land, but one good thing did happen, they led my straight to a deer trail that i didnt know was there! What should i do!?
Set up your own camera in the area to try to catch images of them should they return. If they do, bring the photos to your local Wildlife Officers and advise them that this is private property and not open to the public.

Also, if it isn't posted already, start hanging signs and notify the local P.D. and ask for their help in enforcing against trespassers.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by JakeInMa
Set up your own camera in the area to try to catch images of them should they return.
And "HOW" did the OP find the tresspasser's camera they had? LOL! They'd find his camera just as easily as he found theirs.

Skip the bs and go with the claymores and punji-fitted pit falls.

iSnipe
Old 01-31-2010, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you've got cash burning a hole in your pocket, get the Moultrie system that texts/emails the pictures back. By the time they lift your camera, you have their mug in a photo....

But if you can't track them down you're out $400. I did see a thread on another site where someone used this effectively to bust some trespassers. It got them to his cell so quick he was able to call the sheriff who caught them still on the land.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

What's wrong with talking to them when they are on the road and asking them politely what they were doing on your Dad's property?
Tell them your concern as you plan to hunt it whenever and would appreciate not disturbing the area so you can have a good chance of bagging a deer.
That's what I would do in our part of the woods.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Spike

Your best bet is to post no tresspassing signs the new signs will let them know some else is out here. If you see them you could just talk to them. Explain your situation. That alone could be enough. Then they know you are aware of them trespassing.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by huntrfishr
What's wrong with talking to them when they are on the road and asking them politely what they were doing on your Dad's property?
Tell them your concern as you plan to hunt it whenever and would appreciate not disturbing the area so you can have a good chance of bagging a deer.
That's what I would do in our part of the woods.
I think that's a good idea, but by the time the OP, ie, "Original Poster" saw the activity and had a chance to think, they were already gone.

iSnipe
Old 01-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by iSnipe
And "HOW" did the OP find the tresspasser's camera they had? LOL! They'd find his camera just as easily as he found theirs.

Skip the bs and go with the claymores and punji-fitted pit falls.

iSnipe
LOL..good point!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Fork Horn

Everyone is all about going James Bond on trespassers these days. I would have just approached them when I first saw them, but you missed that opportunity and will have to wait for the next time I suppose. Definitely make sure it is clearly posted from all access points that it is private property. I would just talk to them and ask them what they are doing there. I've seen plenty of disputes over who actually owns the land, and it turns out both parties were wrong!
Old 02-01-2010, 02:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree about getting all the facts before going James Bond. As someone else pointed out, sometimes there is confusion over property boundaries that can be quickly cleared up by simply talking to people. Also, it is not Your land unless your name is on the deed. Maybe you father gave them permission to be there for one reason or another and didn't tell you or forgot about it. I would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that it would have to be the actual landowner who really has to pursue legal action.

I would give people the benefit of the doubt before going to war.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.