Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line >

Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line

Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could do one of two things.

1: Put a stand on your side of the property line, facing his stand. Then sit in it. You two could look at each other, from 10 feet away, all day long. Eventually, somebody would move

2: Dress a maniken in hunting clothes and put it in his stand. It will be funny as heck watching him yell at the dummy in the pre-dawn darkness. Video tape it!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by drawde141
We have 80 acres here in Michigan my family owns. We have had 2 box blinds on the two highest hills on the property for many years. This year a nabor that has a couple acres set a tree tent blind on the property line facing our land at some apple trees. We did not like it but really you cant do anything about it.
I haven't ever seen a tent blind with windows on only one side.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I hope the stand is worth worrying about and it doesn't wind up washed away by a constant flow of tears.

Last edited by uncle matt; 02-15-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Nothing more irritating than line sitters period. The stand is obviously in a good spot, if it was me, I would post signs there and then have someone sitting there next season.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

So what is the distance a person can set up a stand on there own property along a property line?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

Is it really a matter of distance? Or simply ethic's? I would think if a person really found it necasary to sit on the property line, the ethical thing to do would at least face there own property
Old 02-17-2010, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Is it really a matter of distance?
You're the one that said line sitters are irritating, just wondered how far they need to be on their own property , before thay are not irritating.

I would post signs there and then have someone sitting there next season.
and then that person would be a line sitter, right? That sure would show him wouldn't it? Screw up one of your friends hunts just to show him who is boss. lol. How ethical is that?

Doesn't matter to me what way the stand is facing as long as he shoots the deer on his property, and if the wounded animal came on my property I would allow him to track it to.

Might even actually talk with the guy an exchange numbers and let him know if he was going to be sitting on that stand to call me so I wouldn't sit a stand right on top of him.

Last edited by Charlie P; 02-17-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just because it is facing your lease doesn't mean he is shooting deer on your side of the fence. If it was my property and you asked me to move it I wouldn't. But then again I would know that I wasn't shooting deer on your side of the fence. He may have it facing your lease to keep the sun from shining directly on him or is using the tree for cover if he is expecting the deer to come from behind him. And he may be a slob and shooting deer on your side of the fence.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

You actually have a great advantage now. The stand is clearly on the neighbors property. Not anything wrong with that. The neighbor probably doesn't know or care you have found the stand. 300 acres is alot of area to hunt. I would use his stand to my advantage. Deer have a great sense of smell. Use the wind and his smell may actually push deer your way. Easiest approach without any conflict. Good Luck
Old 02-19-2010, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by PY Antlers
Is it really a matter of distance? Or simply ethic's? I would think if a person really found it necasary to sit on the property line, the ethical thing to do would at least face there own property
Who is there to say that whoever is using this stand (if anyone is at all) isn't facing their own property? I set up stands so that I stand facing the tree and I am sure other people do too.

Let's face it this whole issue is silly.

Whoever owns the property can basically do whatever they want to with it as long as they aren't breaking any laws. If the guy wants to set up a makeshift shooting range he has every right to do that. If he wants to run 4wheelers, dirt bikes or a mud bog he has every right to do so. And if he wants to do any of that he doesn't have to stop when season starts. It is not his responsibility or obligation to aid, assist or benefit someone else's hunting. As long as he doesn't violate any hunter interference laws he can do what he wants.

My neighbor has stands close to the property line - and so do I.

I can't begin to describe how embarrassed and downright foolish I would feel approaching him and asking him to move them or not hunt them.