Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line >

Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line

Old 02-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
Stonewall,

First of all, a stand 10 feet back from a property line allows a field of fire well beyond just shooting at game on the neighboring property. It seems to be a fairly small group of people who dont grasp that.
No, I understand it. I am also a realist.

In my analogy, your neighbor could have built the gate simply because he likes gates. Or maybe he just wants to open the gate up and stand 1mm off the property line. Or maybe he is planning on buying your property if you ever sell it in the future, thereby owning two adjacent houses. But a realist would look at the situation and realize what is actually going on.

Given the fact that it would be illegal to shoot over the property line without permission, this guy has set up a stand in a way closes off 90% of his field of view unless he is planning on doing something illegal. Sure, he has a shooting lane which is directly parallel to the property line which makes up about 10% of his field of view. Of course, he could also make a shot on that 10% if he rotated his stand 180 degrees around the tree. So like I said, a realist will look at the situation and know what is going on.

All that being said, I really don't care that much since it isn't my land or my neighbor, so it really isn't worth any further debate for me.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

Well Stonewall, for the last 20+ years I have hunted out of a stand that can't be more then 6 inches on "my side" of the fence. Ther tree my ladder stand is attatched to is growing right out of "my side" of the fence. Never in the past 20+ years have I ever shot on the other side of the fence. I easily wait on the deer coming down that beaten down trail to step into the field and pull the trigger. Not a second sooner. Am I too close at 6 inches???
Old 02-03-2010, 03:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
What difference does it make if he owns it? He paid for the lease, so he owns the hunting rights. Technically, unless his neighbor has completely paid off the bank, he doesn't own his property either.

Let me make an analogy. Your neighbor builds a fence across his back yard, and he puts a gate in the fence that only leads on to your property. The only place to go once you walk through the gate is onto your private property. Clearly there is nothing legally stopping him from making the gate, but the only reason he has done it is to be able to easily tresspass on your land.

It is the same situation here - what the neighbor has actually done isn't illegal, but the only purpose for doing it is to be able to do something illegal at some undetermined point in the future.
Paying for hunting priveleges(not rights) doesn't grant you any legal rights unless specified by the property owner in the lease agreement, it certainly doesn't allow you to dictate to an adjacent landowner over use of his own land. Whether or not the other LO has made his last payment or not is totally irrelevant, he is the property owner of legal record, and he can place his stand wherever he wants on his property. Saying that placing a stand in a given spot for the sole purpose of poaching later is pure speculation, unless whiner boy can produce a clear photograph of the neighbor poaching his father's land he has no case to make, and couldn't legally even file a trespassing charge since his lease probably doesn't spell out power of attorney to do so in the LO's stead.

Another analogy: You're my neighbor and you build a fence between us with a gate placed so that it's only possible purpose would be to allow you to enter my property at will. That's cool, but be sure to pat my Rottweiler on the head as you pass his house.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Originally Posted by kevin1

...unless whiner boy can produce a clear photograph of the neighbor poaching his father's land he has no case to make, and couldn't legally even file a trespassing charge...
I was about to make a post about what I'm witnessing here, but then read this post. Before I do, I'd like to play naive and ask this for clarity...

"By "whiner", of whom to you specifically reference?"

iSnipe
Old 02-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'll take an alternative opinion

First, is this really the place where a deer would leave your property and enter their property? Is it an absolute that the deer would travel this route? Some tree stands hung prove to be a waste of time. Some tree stands might give valuable information.

Why there's nothing for you to cover the egress; 100 hidden yards to the right; 100 hidden yards to the left; 100 hidden yards from the tree stand on your property line.

Why the neighbor might have made a big mistake. Letting you know where the deer are coming onto his property from your property.

You do get to harvest the deer on your property, don't you.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

If the deer are traveling that route, rubs and stuff, its legal who could blame him. He may have been hunting that spot for 10 yrs, and just replaced his stand......
Old 02-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Spike

Wow. I go out of town for a few days and this thread explodes into something much more than I had anticipated.

'Whiner boy'...real mature Kevin1. For the record, I'm a 42 year old man and I lease the property from a good friend. We have permission to do whatever we want to with the land as it relates to deer hunting. I don't have a photo of the stand that is 10' off of the line, but I also didn't realize that I was in federal court. I said 10' because it's 10'. Why would I lie?

As I said in my original post, I know that the neighbor is not doing anything illegal..that's not my beef. My concern is that based on the lay of the land, the majority of shots that he will take will be in our direction. Sure, he can shoot left or right of the stand, along the fence. No question. And for all I know, he'll never shoot at anything across the fence. His stand is on top of a rise in the land and the direction he is facing is down hill towards us. Because we just found this stand recently, we now realize that we have 2 stands approximately 75-100 yards below him. If he is gun hunting, I'm not comfortable being in his 'shooting window' if he just can't help it and shoots at the big 10 point that he sees across the line.

I asked for some suggestions and the overwhelming majority say to make friends with the guy and I agree that it makes the most sense. Even if he doesn't move the stand, I want him to know that we have people that might be below him on any given day and he needs to honor the property line.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

singleshot1,

I guess my remark I was going to say to some, is that their ignorance is once again showing by their responses. Many here reply as if you had a specific agenda or that you carried some thoughts of the situation that clearly were not yours. People have a terrible way of misinterpreting what they are reading, then create a reply based on something that is not the truth or the way it is to begin with. Just goes to show some people should read more carefully before they reply. I see these kinds of posts on here many times.

G'day.

iSnipe
Old 02-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of interesting replies...to say the least!

I will tell You an interesting story about a guy that was allowed to Hunt on a Land Owners Property.He had the run of the place for several years,then one day the Land Owner let another one of his (the Land Owner's) Friends hunt there also as a favor,the other Hunter complained and complained about the other Hunter being there and how the other guys stand was too close (200-250 yads) from his stand etc...etc....The Land Owner got tired of the first Hunter's complaining that he ended up kicking him off his land and the Neighboring Land Owner also quit letting the first original Hunter hunt on his land also.So watch out how you treat other people,be honest and helpful to other Hunters or you could be on the outside looking in!

Moral of the Story:
Some times the squeekiest wheel gets all the oil...and sometimes it gets removed and replaced!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hang a dozen or so aluminum pie plates on limbs on your side of the property line so they flash in the breeze. Probably won't bother the deer long term, but the other hunter won't be able to stand it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.