Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line >

Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line

Old 01-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Spike

Default Found Neighbors Stand On Property Line

I need some opinions here. My buddy and I were walking the property line (fence) of our 300 acre lease in Southern TN yesterday. We got into the lease a week before the season, so we didn't have much time to walk the entire fence line until the season closed (2 weeks ago).

During our walk, in the middle of the woods, we came upon a fairly new ladder stand on the property of our neighbor to the east. The stand is about 10 feet from the fence and facing directly on to our property. The area where we found it is just above an area where we also found about 20 good rubs on our side. We have trail cam pics of several nice bucks in the area as well.

I realize that 'legally' he is doing nothing wrong. The stand is on his property, but dang it, it just made me furious to see it facing our land. What would you guys do?

I'm thinking that the first step would be to try to ask him nicely to move any stands at least 75 yards away from the line. If that doesn't work, then I'm open to suggestions.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it was right on the property line and facing your property then there might be an issue. However, if it is sitting at least 10 feet back, then it could just as easily be argued that it is set up for side shots at deer crossing over from your property. But who knows, if you ask nice maybe he will move it. Or, maybe he will tell you that if you dont want him putting up a stand within ten feet of his property line then he doesn't want you walking that close to his property line....
Old 01-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

You can ask him but dont expect him to oblige. Doin this may even cause tension or a rift between the two of you which may not be the best for either of you.Anyways,theres not much you are goin to be able to do about it if he wants to stay there. If it was me i would try to do something to get the deer to frequent another area on your property like a foodplot or sanctuary area.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would not let him know you found it...

I would be sitting there opening morning and cut him off from the direction they are coming...
Old 01-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I would not let him know you found it...

I would be sitting there opening morning and cut him off from the direction they are coming...
I agree, he obviously knows the land pretty well since he owns his piece so he knows where the big bucks are most likely hanging out. I would put a stand 30 yards away facing the away from your property line. If he sees you there then I think he will get the hint. This happened one year on one of the pieces that I hunting. Opening day there was a guy 20 yards from the property line facing our land. Another guy in out group set up in one of our perminant box blinds 30 yards from the line on the same morning, not knowing the guy was sitting at the base of the tree (He obviuosly knew that we had a box blind there since it has been there 15 years) When he left for lunch the guy from the neighboring property saw him and havent seen a guy sitting in that area since.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Honestly the guy is not doing anything wrong. I know you are thinking that he is shooting on your lease but until that time, you are peeing in the wind getting upset. Now, if you want to waste all of your time trying to catch him instead of hunting, go ahead that is your choice. But if you want to catch him, that means you will hunt that area to much along with him, rendering the area pretty desolate due to pressure,.

Now it sounds like you have IDed a potential hot spot on your lease that is near your neighbor's property. You want to even politely get in his face about the stand, I will guarantee that you will not be tracking any wounded deer through his property that made their death run across the line.

To resolve this continuing debate about hunting too clsoe to property lines, it is only gonna be a matter of time before we start having state laws that say you can't hunt 200 (or any other number) yards from an adjoinging property. Now everone is gonna be pissed
Old 01-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

He's legally on his property? Who cares.

Just because he's near your land, facing it, doesn't mean he's hunting your land, perhaps deer funnel from your land to his in that spot, and he's there. Can't argue with his logic there. If he's shooting deer on your land, etc...that's a completely different issue.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Perhaps a secondary concern, but they are leasing the land. If they start conflict with folks who are legally hunting on an adjacent property and the feud broadens to include the landowners, it could be a good way to lose the lease.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
Perhaps a secondary concern, but they are leasing the land. If they start conflict with folks who are legally hunting on an adjacent property and the feud broadens to include the landowners, it could be a good way to lose the lease.

Secondary concern??? I might make that a primary concern. Lose the lease and you lose you ground. At that point do you care if a guy is hunting too close??? God gave you a lower lip. The OP oughta just bite it and move on.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

If he's legal there is not a thing that can be done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.