Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Different hunting scenerio...Would you still be successful? >

Different hunting scenerio...Would you still be successful?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Different hunting scenerio...Would you still be successful?

Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jimmy S

They all were given our knowledge of the areas and where deer were seen and shot in years past.

Why is it that veteran hunters from other states, friends that I truly respect as hunters, have such difficulty in being successful in remote, big woods that hold very few deer?
"Given" "knowledge" and having a good opportunity to self-know the area being hunted... the opportunity to self-assess where the deer are, etc, is a variant and therein lies the difference.

Take me to a new spot and have locals "tell" me about an area -vs- giving me the opportunity to scout said area myself, I'm sure I good come up with a decent game plan to tag a mature buck.

Unless those "locals" are guides, I think my odds might be slightly better that info given to me by someone else. And that would have a lot to do with my skill to do said task... kill a big one.

iSnipe
Old 02-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my area the deer number are pretty low. You will never see 10 deer in a field or any deer in a field in daylight hours. You may see a deer 1 out of 3 or 5 sits and that doesn't mean a shot opportunity. i think the deer up North in the Adirondacks oe NH are much more scarce. Tough going with a bow. A good hunter will adapt but it takes time.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Spike

I am curruntly in that situation. I normally solely hunt in Georgia but since I have moved to Oklahoma because I am in the Air Force, I was forced to hunt public land last year because I could not get access to private land. I still hunt in Georgia but only during the rut. The first thing i did in OK is find some decent WMA's so I did some research internet, word of mouth ect.. I found one and started scouting and I mean I scouted. I figured most hunters will stay close to the roads so I wen't in deep. I found a good bedding area and a creek bottom that had lots of sign. Because there were not any large trees to put a stand in I was forced to use a blind so I set up a blind and brushed it in. I did not shoot any bucks but I did shoot two does, one with my bow and one with my muzzleloader. Not bad for someone that's new to area.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

Here in florida low deer population paired with little agriculture, thick swampy terrain and hot humid weather makes for pretty challenging deer hunting. Most cant kill a deer in florida without hunting a feeder.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
haha less than 10 deer/sq.mi? I believe every county in IL is less than 10/sq.mi.

deer per sq.mi. has nothing to do with success IMO.

trophy hunting is the toughest hunting you can do IMO, simply harvesting a legal animal anywhere isn't very tough IMO.

SIMPLY harvesting a legal animal, in SOME places is VERY tuff, thats not opinion, its fact, but i will agree in alot of places simply harvesting a legal animal is easy...
Old 02-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jimmy S
For those hunters that hunt states/provinces with high deer numbers, how would you adjust your hunting style if you spent a week hunting in big woods with deer numbers less than 10 deer/sq mile? Woods that are measured in square miles, not acres.

These woods have no fields or agricultural areas, just big woods and the deer rely on all natural feed. These woods have nasty swamps, thick alders and open hardwoods.

Would you change your style or depend on past proven strategies? Also, saying that you would find the feeding and bedding areas and set up in between may be more difficult than it is in other places. The deer do not have to move far from a food source to a bedding area. Plus a large number of thick, nasty areas offer all the security the deer require.

Your thoughts?
Past proven strategies. Your scenario isn't much different than what I already hunt, except our population is relatively high. All you need to do is scout and find the natural food scources and setup on them or on the trails leading to them. I hunted areas like this before without baiting and still was sucessful, so I could do it again in this scenario.

This wouldn't be much of a shock to me as would be putting me on a small parcel (40-80 acres) and limiting my hunting area. I would absolutely hate having to be confined to a small property to hunt.