Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need your help!

Old 01-27-2010, 01:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

As stated, skip all the rest of the stuff other than the corn and food plot. Some of the scents might actually be scaring them away if used the wrong time of year.

Next, for 2 weeks, bring the dogs in the garage, or somewhere else out of sight, at night for 2 weeks and see if they will start coming in. Also trail some corn from a known active trail to your yard.

If they are hungry, and don't feel threatened, they will come.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just curious about a couple of things. Where are you located and is what is the average deer populaton in the area? How big is the tract of land you are trying to use? Hard to believe that in a year you are still having that kind of problem, I think the dog pen is a big part of the problem. Stick to the pure corn, the peanut butter will draw the rest of the unwanted critters like duezee said. Your post is confusing, in the first part you state "I have tracked the woods and found trails, scrapes, etc" and then further down you say "No tracks or anything!", can't be both.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol thats funny, can see the deer sayin "nanie nanie boo boo" to the dogs lol

Originally Posted by GreatHunterWannabe
I know some that have those underground dog fences and the deer even know where the boundary is, ha ha.

yeah, just give it some time, I'm sure they will come around.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is this some part of an urban legend?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

If the deer in your area are harrassed at all by dogs, you may have no chance of bringing them in. I agree, get rid of all the fake scents, etc. The feeder with good old corn should work fine, unless they have a similar source nearby (farmers corn field, etc.)Minimize your activity in the woods. as close as you have your pen to the food, you may not be able to bring the deer in. Are you able to move the feeder back into the woods 50 feet or more?The further the better. If so, minimize the human scent. I would only throw corn initially just before dark, to minimize birds getting it. If you set up a camera, leave it for several weeks between checking it, to minimize your presence.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Spike

Your post is confusing, in the first part you state "I have tracked the woods and found trails, scrapes, etc" and then further down you say "No tracks or anything!", can't be both.

I have found tracks and scrapes in the surrounding woods. I have not found any tracks or signs of activity in my plot area. The plot itself is about 30' x 60'. There are hundreds of acres of woods behind me. It is a ridge. There is no other fields, or farmland that I know of or I have found. There is a lot of acorns. I have been leaving it alone lately. I actually need to fill the feeder up again. Thanks for all of you guys comments. Even the smart ass ones. I actually laughed at a few! I'm gonna put my camera up, refill the feeder, and leave stuff alone. Thanks guys!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

I've had a trail cam up by a feeder since November. Not ONE deer in the daylight, but average 30-40 pictures of deer every night! but you said no tracks, so I'd say the dogs are the problem.