Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Dead buck found, who's should it be? >

Dead buck found, who's should it be?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dead buck found, who's should it be?

Old 01-25-2010, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

[QUOTE=iSnipe;3562429]I don't even care to read the others' reply, as I know what to expect by now, so I'll just give you my .02 cents worth...

It's YOUR lease! Any deer found on that property is YOURS!

Had it been on public ground, it would be your friend's buck.

Now if you keep the buck, of which in my opinion is yours anyway, and your friend decides he wants nothing more of you, then what kind of friend was he anyway? If he was a true friend, then he could see that it was YOU that spent your hard earned money on the land to lease and NOT him!

If I was that guy, I'd tell you all about it and "ask" if I could have it. I would not assume I could keep it. If you said "No" and explain why, I then may offer to buy it from you.

In no way would I think it's mine in that circumstance.

Good luck coming up with a solution.

iSnipe[/QUOTE

I disagee, Just because the guy has paid for the lease does not give him rights to own everything on the land... Hell I own my land and if I had someone on their rabbit hunting or something and they found a dead buck like that and wanted to keep it I would say go for it--they found it and I didn't not me.. For heaven sake it was buck that the lease holder didn't even shoot... Like others have said in this post the you "so called" didn't read the lease holder wouldn't have found it anyways... It sounds like to me that the lease holder is slight baby and is the type of guy that is "my way or the highway"!! Those types don't make for good frends and for sure not good for hunting buddies..
Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Well I hate to be the one who has to spank all you ignorant little narrow minded guidence counselors but some things have to be done.

Hello? We are talking about friendship, right? Listen! Hear the bells? That means WAKE UP!

If this is some "friend" who you basically only deer hunt with then let him have your the stupid antlers and hunt alone or find someone else to call your deer hunting "friend". You might want to make a detailed friendship contract for your next hunting "friend". Spell it all out to the smallest detail and condition - sounds like alot of fun.

You certainly posted as if this is all about the deer hunting and the deer hunting/lease is the most vital and important thing going in your life. I would certainly hope friendship goes well beyond some deer hunting. (If not that is truly pathetic)

Real friends are there for you for all sorts of other things...............

They're at your kids birthday parties. They're at your wedding. They are in your wedding. They come to your anniversery party. Exchange Christmas cards. Give you a hand taking that big tree down. You guys take all your kids camping and fishing and fourwheeling together. Sit around bonfires. BBQ for no other reason than it's a heck of a nice day. You drop by to see each others kids play in the game. Maybe offer each other advice. Maybe loan each other a couple bucks. Comes by unannounced in the snowstorm and drops his plow on your driveway so you wake up and look out and grin. He says your favorite team sucks and his rules. Drinks Bud but doesn't say much when you pull a Miller outta your fridge and put it on the table in front of him. And you'll drink his Bud - if there isn't anything else. He helped you with swapping out that transmission in your car and helped you swap in another 2 weeks later when that bargain $200 trans you bought wasn't such a bargain. Came by to see your newborn. Dropped you a batch of his latest chili that had ya cra99ing fireballs for 3 days straight and left your taste buds burnt out for a week. He'll loan ya any tool or piece of equipment he's got and probobly offer to help do the job it's for. He'll call ya a liar when you say you caught the bigger fish but slap ya on the back while he buys the next round. He might name his kid after you unless your name is Matt. He'll let ya cry on his shoulder when you tell him your kid has a terrible illness. And he'll need to wrap his arms around you when he buries his Dad.

That is what real friends are.

Making decisions based on such little and limited information! Why I oughta........ You boys drop them drawers and line up behind the woodshed. I'm findin' me a good stiff switch. If any of ya wanna show some spine and admit the err of your ways then step to the front of the line.

Amen

[quote=diamondrack;3562537]
Originally Posted by iSnipe
I don't even care to read the others' reply, as I know what to expect by now, so I'll just give you my .02 cents worth...

It's YOUR lease! Any deer found on that property is YOURS!

Does the lease say that anything found is his? Maybe the property owner hunted also. Maybe is was somebody else. Point is you should have told the landowner that neither of you had shot it. If the landowner had found it, maybe he would think twice about letting you hunt there again.

Listen to your Uncle Matt and get some new friends. Maybe one that doesnt shoot deer in the butt either.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Between this post and the A's deer vs. B's deer post, I've never seen such jackashes worried about killing a friggin whitetail deer. You girls are pathetic. The Saturday morning hunting shows and all the rattlin stix, feed crap, and gosh knows what other gizmos you've been suckered into buying have created nothing more than a bunch of hunter wannabes. I swear, every other post is a bunch of crybabies. Are there any real hunters left?

Hunting is about character, something that most of you have no clue about. The both of you are a bunch a sissies. I hope whoever holds the lease doesn't know about your shenanigans.

Grow Up!
My sentiments exactly. I read the threads and posts on this web site mainly for laughs. Every now and again someone posts something interesting or even barely educational. Most of it is comical.

A whole lot of the posters often sound petty and/or ignorant. Who gets the deer? Someone hunting along the property line! Is this deer big enough to shoot? What does he score? What is this picture of? Where should I hunt? How high do you climb? .308 vs. .30-06? When to shed hunt? All she wants are votes. Etc........ What gives???? It all makes me laugh. Thanks.

Yep, you're right (OP). You shouldn't have posted anything as petty as this question. BTW - that crappy looking deer head is not yours. You didn't find it.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Spike

One more tidbit of information I left out. This wasn’t the first issue with him hunting on my lease. First gun season he shot at a buck 15 yards away and grazed his leg. I heard the shot and asked him if he shot a deer. He denied shooting and said it was on adjacent property and it wasnt him. When we got back to camp I noticed two shells missing from his shell holder and he then admitted to shooting at the buck. He said he didn’t hit it and the deer was fine. I thought he was embarrassed at missing one so close and this is why he didn’t tell me, so I let it go. Second season he actually got another shot at the same buck in a different stand and killed it. I then saw the graze wound and he told me he knew he hit it. This isn’t about deer hunting; this is all about ethics, character and honesty. He obviously has none of those. He claiming the dead buck as his own and walking into the sanctuary was the last straw. I'm done with this thread and thanks to all of those who posted intelligent answers. It’s clear to me I don’t want to be friends with someone like this now.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by White-tail-deer
I say a dead buck that neither of you shot is not worth losing a friend over. However, I would be very upset with him for walking through the area you told him was off limits. For this reason I would not share the lease with him. If he does not respect or listen to you when you are the sole leaser and in charge, he will definitely not respect or listen to you when he pays half.
exactly... not unless it was a buck you hit and did not recover and you are positive it is the deer.
It is your lease, so you should probably get it... he shouldn't have been walking where you told him not to anyway.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Spike

This fellow just doesn't seem like he has any hunting ethics or consideration. He might be OK in other arenas but he does not appear to be a good hunting partner.

Wildbill51
Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rogerstv
My sentiments exactly. I read the threads and posts on this web site mainly for laughs. Every now and again someone posts something interesting or even barely educational. Most of it is comical.

A whole lot of the posters often sound petty and/or ignorant. Who gets the deer? Someone hunting along the property line! Is this deer big enough to shoot? What does he score? What is this picture of? Where should I hunt? How high do you climb? .308 vs. .30-06? When to shed hunt? All she wants are votes. Etc........ What gives???? It all makes me laugh. Thanks.

Yep, you're right (OP). You shouldn't have posted anything as petty as this question. BTW - that crappy looking deer head is not yours. You didn't find it.
you forgot:
Whats the best deer rifle?
What do you do with your meat?
Whats the best scope?
Is is ok to bait?
What would you do?
How far do you shoot?
Does scentlok work?
Do you pee in the woods?
I want an AR, what kind?
Does a 300 WM kick?
Can I paint my gun?

Whew................
Old 01-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mgrt67
One more tidbit of information I left out. This wasn’t the first issue with him hunting on my lease. First gun season he shot at a buck 15 yards away and grazed his leg. I heard the shot and asked him if he shot a deer. He denied shooting and said it was on adjacent property and it wasnt him. When we got back to camp I noticed two shells missing from his shell holder and he then admitted to shooting at the buck. He said he didn’t hit it and the deer was fine. I thought he was embarrassed at missing one so close and this is why he didn’t tell me, so I let it go. Second season he actually got another shot at the same buck in a different stand and killed it. I then saw the graze wound and he told me he knew he hit it. This isn’t about deer hunting; this is all about ethics, character and honesty. He obviously has none of those. He claiming the dead buck as his own and walking into the sanctuary was the last straw. I'm done with this thread and thanks to all of those who posted intelligent answers. It’s clear to me I don’t want to be friends with someone like this now.
After all that, you shouldn't be surprised by his actions. I'll bet he makes more money than you. For whatever reason, you have some loyalty to this guy, why I don't know. Don't call is ash for awhile and see what happens..
Old 01-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey I got an idea, why not give the antlers to the guy who shot the buck? In my large lease we tend to find buck antlers/skulls all the time. If I find one and know who is hunting the area I will call them and return it. My question is why do you want to even keep a set of antlers off a deer you didn't kill or you didn't find?

Some of you guys don't kill enough bucks if you are arguing over a set of antlers IMO.... Come to Florida and shoot 2 bucks/day from Sept-January.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by early in
Sounds like you should choose your "hunting buddies" more carefully.
My thoughts exactly

It also sounds like your friend of 20 years has no issue with lying to you. That should be your first clue. He has no ethics and has no respect for you.

Why in the world would either of you want a deer someone else shot. Are they that rare ?

Why would you lease land and then set boundaries within that lease ? What purpose does this serve ? Do you put up little signs so the deer know where the sanctuary is ?

Last edited by skb2706; 01-25-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.