Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is It possible

Old 01-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is It possible

For a fawn that was born in the spring/summer of 2009 to be bread during the rut that same year?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I read one time that a doe fawn, in good health, with plenty of nutrition can breed before they are 8 months old. Should be able to google it up..
Old 01-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

possible, yes. Probable, rare. in areas with heavily skewed buck:doe ratios, where a young of the year has come in to estrus late in the season.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Iowa a doe fawn will normally breed if her mother was an mature deer. Fawns usually breed later (2nd rut) so the fawns that they give birth to are born (usually) a month after the mother's first birthday.

Since a fawn usually breeds late, the fawn that it has may be too young or too small in its first fall. A fawn of a fawn is less likely to breed.

Fawns in Iowa usually also have only one fawn themselves, whereas mature does usually have twins or triplets.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:07 AM
Typical Buck

It has been my experience that a doe that is bred in theearliest stages of rut will birth her fawns at an earlier date (common sense, I know). This earlier in the year birth will give a female fawn enough time to develop so that it is possible that she can be bred in the "2nd rut". Typically, if she is bred, she will only have one fawn in the spring and due to the late birth, that fawn will not breed in the following rut season. Just my anecdotal experiences.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Robert L E
Here in Iowa a doe fawn will normally breed if her mother was an mature deer. Fawns usually breed later (2nd rut) so the fawns that they give birth to are born (usually) a month after the mother's first birthday.

Since a fawn usually breeds late, the fawn that it has may be too young or too small in its first fall. A fawn of a fawn is less likely to breed.

Fawns in Iowa usually also have only one fawn themselves, whereas mature does usually have twins or triplets.

I should have read you post prior to typing mine as it basically says the exact same thing!!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

i have heard that it is possible
Old 01-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unlike buck fawns, it is my understanding that a doe fawn will be sexually mature during her first mating season.

As mentioned, a young doe will usually have only one fawn while a mature doe will have two and sometimes three.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:38 AM
Site Buck Guru

Not only is it possible, it happens a lot.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by GregH
Not only is it possible, it happens a lot.
really? what data do you have that shows that? I would like to read it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.