Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattling

Old 01-20-2010, 04:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Rattling

Our rut is starting here in NW Florida. Last night I watched two small does approach my stand. I wanted to see what effect a little rattling would have on them. One small rattle & they were GONE! Hmmm....don't know if I'll try rattling again!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

same here i don't make noise either ...but it realy works in HUNTING PROGRAMS on TV
Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have been suprised if the does did not bolt after hearing rattling. I rattle to bring in bucks. The sound of bucks fighting, IMO, will usually have other bucks come in (usually downwind) to check things out, especially during the rut. Does and younger bucks will either care little about the sound of antlers rattling or they will leave quickly usually because of intimadation.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Spike

Rattling only really works in areas with a high buck to doe ratio. Some deer will come in to rattling just out of curiosity and others will just bolt as you experienced. I have had deer come into me during the pre rut when I rattled aggressively.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

i personally rattle depending on weather. if it is really windy i might because a grunt call will be hard to hear.... ive been very serious about deer hunting the past couple of years and have rattled in only 2 bucks.... im sure it is different all around the country
Old 01-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Spike

I have begun rattling a bit during the rut. I have brought in a lot of bucks, sometimes 2 at a time. Weird thing though, on at least 3 occasions rattling has had does come running in. I don't "speak deer" so I don't know if they were curious, looking for love or just wantin' to watch some young buck get his tail kicked. But I do know, by the way they came in and how closely it was timed to the rattling, it was surely the ratting that brought em runnin'.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

I rattled a doe in once. Came right towards it like I was pulling her in on a leash. I have had my best success with bucks before the rut kicks in full swing. After that they are already one hot does and good luck gettin 'em away from some strange that's in estrus!

It definitely helps to have an equal buck to doe ratio. THey don't seem to bother if they have no competition.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Spike

I personally never had any luck with rattling. To me its seems to scare the deer more that are in my area than anything else. lol man the guys on tv make it so easy.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Spike

Both these bucks came right to me while I was rattling this past week in the same stand. I believe in it durring the rut.

Last edited by Jseay; 01-21-2010 at 11:50 AM.