Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Strange Siting

Old 01-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Strange Siting

While hunting here in SE Alabama last week, buddy of mine, Eddie R. , who was already "tagged out" with his 3 bucks, was doe hunting. Easrly in the morning Thursday, a string of 8-10 does, he was not sure how many because of the cover, eased by followed by a young 8 pt. and a fine 9 pt. He shot a big doe. She fell dead essentially in her tracks. All the other deer took off, as is usually the case. Within 15-20 seconds however, no more, the 9 pt. returns and proceeded to shove the doe around with his rack , not agressive goring though, for some 10 -12 minutes. Eddie tried to get a photo with his phone camera, and in the process spooked the buck out of there. Because we are trying to thin the does on our place, Eddie sat awaiting to see if maybe another doe might pass through. About 30 minutes later the same 9 pt. returns and starts pushing the doe all over the forest floor again. Finally after 15 minutes of pushing and hanging around the doe, it left. I have never seen nor heard of such behavior. Any ideas?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

uggg! that would probably pull on my heart for a while. hate to sound soft, but that would be pretty tough to witness. and i am a 30 year hunter.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

I've seen a buck pushing a dead buck around on the ground on a hunting show before. Pretty sure that had something to do with the rut though. I have never heard/seen anything like what you saw though. No clue.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Well Im not sure when your rut begins or whatever but i believe that that doe must have been in heat or something...Thats crazy tho.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

It's my understanding that the rut in AL is in the first week or two in January. If that is the case in your area, then i would assume your friend shot a hot doe and the buck did not want to leave her. He wasn't goring her, just trying to get her up. I have seen this happen on several occasion it is not uncommon.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like he had his heart set on covering that doe....but I'm sure he managed quite a few others by this point!

Best of Luck,
Jeff
Old 01-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep the rut should be finally starting a bit and she was smelling sweet to him.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The comment about the January rut in south Alabama is correct, but we have not seen any indications of such so far. When these does came through, the 2 bucks were right behind the group. Eddie said they came through single file. And that he did not see any signs of "chasing". They were just slipping through. I "examined" the doe while skinning her. I could not see that she was "swelled" ... and to confuse me even more, two teats were tight with milk !!!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dropped a buck 1 time, and a smaller buck and a doe layed down next to him for 20 minutes til we walked out and skerred em off!... i have seen bore hogs try and scoot their dead gf down the trail before
Old 01-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

See the post on sharpshooters culling deer. I suspect you shot the dominate doe in the herd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.