Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Interesting legal questions

Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by teedub31
A 300 yard barrier in East Central Indiana would delegate most all ground unhuntable. Are area is broken up in square mile sections with a house or 2 on each road surround the section. Now given that you have to be 300 yards from the residence which is 25-50 yards off the road, you would have to be almost 400 yards off the road. Not a problem until you are 400 yards off of every road, that leaves you a small 800 yardX800 yard section to hunt smack dab in the very center of that square mile. Hope you are lucky to find the handful of spots that will allow you a good stand set up. I know all the areas I hunt, those areas are in the middle of corn and bean stubble
One of our state representatives up north, can't remember her name right now, proposes a 100 yard limit every year and gets shot down every time. Thankfully you and I live in a state wise enough not to set a minimum distance, most hunters are smart enough to check for houses before hunting a property, and they recognize that fact.

Last edited by kevin1; 01-22-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 125py
Thats Illinois for ya....should be called "The land of Laws" instead of "The land of Lincoln"
Now I know why so many IL hunters come to Wisc LOL
Old 01-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by basserman

not only hunting, but many other laws that dont make a lot of sense
Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by basserman
basserman, I would have thought the same thing 5 years ago but the way the WDNR is screwing up the deer herd Im sticking to Illinois for now. (I don't mean any offense to your post, just from what Ive been reading here Illinois and Wisconsin are both having there problems)
Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

There seems to be no such law in Oklahoma.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Better watch out, they are trying to change things in Oklahoma.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ors.html?cat=7
Old 01-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fastetti
basserman, I would have thought the same thing 5 years ago but the way the WDNR is screwing up the deer herd Im sticking to Illinois for now. (I don't mean any offense to your post, just from what Ive been reading here Illinois and Wisconsin are both having there problems)
I agree with you totally
Old 01-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

South Dakota has (I believe) a 600 foot distance away from dwellings or livestock when you are road hunting small game and turkeys. Nothing else can be hunted from the road. If you are on your own land you can hunt right next to a house even if it isn't yours. There is a wildlife habitat that the state runs right across the road from my grandpas. His cattle feedlot goes right up to the ditch and people are always hunting across the road in the habitat. There is nothing he can do because technically they aren't doing anything wrong. It sucks because they scare his cattle quite a bit after they ween them.