HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Iowa non resident gun tag price? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/315324-iowa-non-resident-gun-tag-price.html)

Blueditch42 01-19-2010 07:27 AM

Iowa non resident gun tag price?

Just wondering what the price was on non resident gun tag for iowa.
I know it is a lottery. thanks Mike

salukipv1 01-19-2010 08:19 AM

I've just begun applying for points last year, but my info shows it'll cost you $524.50 to get a deer tag.

$296 deer license
$126 antlerless license
$81 hunting license
$11.50 habitat stamp

points only are $50

I think gun tags can be drawn your first year...
bow tags take 3 years I think.

teedub31 01-19-2010 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by salukipv1 (Post 3558172)
I've just begun applying for points last year, but my info shows it'll cost you $524.50 to get a deer tag.

$296 deer license
$126 antlerless license
$81 hunting license
$11.50 habitat stamp

points only are $50

I think gun tags can be drawn your first year...
bow tags take 3 years I think.

Outrageous!!!!!

salukipv1 01-19-2010 04:21 PM

ya so the guys bitchin about IL non-res fees might wanna think again about other states...

I could be wrong, I think in IL a non-res tag is $400 and something...but you get a buck and a doe tag in one, looks like in IA you need to buy one each, less you can buy just a buck tag but I think you have to buy both.

I've never had a problem paying non-res fees but that's always been hunting out west for elk etc...now that I see I can just hunt in state for $30 or whatever, vs. $500 non-res for essentially just a buck tag....i mean sure I can take a doe and a buck for that price, but I wouldn't view them as $250/piece...

Pope94/IA 01-19-2010 04:48 PM

Iowa is outrageous its pretty much pathetic. Luckily I live in the state. I heard some state charge Iowa residents more just because we charge so much for deer.
My uncles use to always come up from arkansas to go deer hunting but they dont any more. It expensive.

fastetti 01-19-2010 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pope94/IA (Post 3558544)
I heard some state charge Iowa residents more just because we charge so much for deer.

I don't think that can be true, that would be discrimination. If it is true I'd like to know which states do that.

I'll agree the price does stink, but as long as they keep there deer herd in check and they keep producing quality deer, people will keep paying it. I have a buddy that owns 140 acres in Iowa and lives in Illinois and he can't even get tags every year. Kind of stinks when you can't even hunt your own property every year.

Tribute!!! 01-19-2010 07:43 PM

Supply and demand boys! As a resident I think its great they charge that much and require you to buy a doe tag along with it. The deer are the property of and are managed by the state and its residents. Iowa should reap the benefits. People complain about it, yet every year its pushed by non-residents to raise the number of alloted tags higher and higher. Why shouldnt the state raise the price? When I have gone out of state hunting Gobblers I complain to my buddies about the tag price, but I still go every year and have a blast doing it! Bottom line is if you want to hunt Iowa or any other state/province that has a great resource(BIG Iowa whitetails)your gonna pay whatever it costs right...I know I will and afterwards wont even give the price a thought!

salukipv1 01-19-2010 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by fastetti (Post 3558686)
I don't think that can be true, that would be discrimination. If it is true I'd like to know which states do that.

I'll agree the price does stink, but as long as they keep there deer herd in check and they keep producing quality deer, people will keep paying it. I have a buddy that owns 140 acres in Iowa and lives in Illinois and he can't even get tags every year. Kind of stinks when you can't even hunt your own property every year.

If he needs someone to hunt it on those off years, I'll be happy to...:D

chasenthebigone 01-19-2010 08:44 PM

Now Iowa Residents need to start doing more to control that revenue and forcing that money to go to the Deer. I hear now part of the tag fees are put to new bike trails in the city. Perhaps they will continue to get enough funds to run that pretty blacktop bike trail down my gravel road! haha.

dman4505 01-20-2010 05:48 AM

iowa nr tags

Originally Posted by fastetti (Post 3558686)

As another poster said if he needs someone to hunt it when he can't I'd be more than happy to. I'll go so far as to only take does if he wants to save the bucks for himself.

Don