Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Iowa non resident gun tag price? >

Iowa non resident gun tag price?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Iowa non resident gun tag price?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by fastetti
I don't think that can be true, that would be discrimination. If it is true I'd like to know which states do that.
In Indiana, residents and non-residents only have to buy a deer license/tag. There is no general hunting license required. But if you are an out of state hunter and your state requires Indiana residents hunting in your state to buy a hunting license + deer tags, the you will have to buy the general license and deer license when you visit Indiana. That is the number 1 reason my uncle and his wife don't come to Indiana from Ohio to hunt with us.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by teedub31
In Indiana, residents and non-residents only have to buy a deer license/tag. There is no general hunting license required. But if you are an out of state hunter and your state requires Indiana residents hunting in your state to buy a hunting license + deer tags, the you will have to buy the general license and deer license when you visit Indiana. That is the number 1 reason my uncle and his wife don't come to Indiana from Ohio to hunt with us.
I could understand that but the way I took it us the original poster said that other states charge only Iowa residents more because they are from Iowa and not other states.

Guys, believe me, Ive ask to put in for permits every year just in case he doesn't get them, no luck yet though. Personally, I know another guy whose parents were very successful and bought a 700 acre piece of land in Iowa just for hunting. The buck that my buddy got last year would make 99.9% of the people on this website drool. After seeing that buck, Id pay the $500 to have a chance at a buck like that!!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a number of states that charge a non-res. the same rate to hunt [ or fish, for that matter], as the state the non-res is coming from likewise charges non-res. It's called reciprocal.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The non resident licenses are out of control. I would like to hunt more than one state but in the end I really cant afford it. NC Sportsman is still $45 and we have OK deer but not too many giants like the Mid West
Old 01-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

Like someone else said, supply and demand. South Dakota does it with their small game liscenses. A ton of people from other states come in to hunt pheasants and the state charges them $110 for 10 days of hunting. If you have good enough hunting, people will come to hunt no matter the price.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Spike

Default It happens

Originally Posted by fastetti
I don't think that can be true, that would be discrimination. If it is true I'd like to know which states do that.

I'll agree the price does stink, but as long as they keep there deer herd in check and they keep producing quality deer, people will keep paying it. I have a buddy that owns 140 acres in Iowa and lives in Illinois and he can't even get tags every year. Kind of stinks when you can't even hunt your own property every year.

I dont know if florida still does it but it used to charge ga residents more for hunting and fishing license because they wouldnt do a agreement to reduce prices for fl residents to hunt in ga.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

OK here is my take on the high license fees.

You got big deer and highly publicized hunting = expensive permits. Here is the issue though, when your expensive non res. permits are not sold due to the economy who do you think gets stuck with a license increase?? You the resident does. The other problem is that they build a Fish and Wildlife dept that need these funds to survive because they think that people will always pay and when they don't so who loses in the end? And yet another problem is they get greedy ignoring sound wildlife data and practices and issue way to many permits cause they see green.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by crokit
There are a number of states that charge a non-res. the same rate to hunt [ or fish, for that matter], as the state the non-res is coming from likewise charges non-res. It's called reciprocal.
Texas & Mississippi used to be reciprocal years ago. I do no know about now
Old 01-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Spike

Thats what I like about Iowa. They have stuck behind us residents and kept the supply to a minimum of 6,000 Non-resident permits a year. Some groups (Friends of Iowa) are trying to double that number. Believe me they are no friends of any hunting Iowa resident. If Iowa holds true and keeps this number where its at now, the demand will always be there. And this will keep the non-residents coming and paying the price Iowa puts on a tag, no matter what it is!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't mind seeing Illinois and Iowa reciprocate with deer licenses as well. Both have a very good deer herd. Im not saying let all Illinois people hunt there but maybe allocate a small amount of permits from Illinois to Iowa residents and vice versa. I know it will never happen but it would be kind of interesting to see how it would work out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.