Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Wrapped up the season yesterday. >

Wrapped up the season yesterday.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wrapped up the season yesterday.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Spike

Default Wrapped up the season yesterday.

I put two does in the freezer back towards the beginning of the season and was really hoping to get one more. This weekend looked like the last chance for me to get one. I was on the road most of the weekend, so yesterday was it. I went with a neighbor and his son to their family land early in the morning. I managed to call up a couple of does late morning just as my neighbor gave the whistle that they were walking out.

On the way home, his son was asking me if I got really frustrated when I spend time in the stand and don't get a deer. I told him that I consider any time out hunting as good time. I love the quiet, the watching, the scenery - all of it. And I've learned to take the good and the bad as all being just part of hunting. I also told him that God knows what I need and if He feels that our family needs another deer, he'll provide me with that opportunity.

That afternoon, I decided to take one last trip out to my sister-in-laws property (where I do 99% of my hunting). Late afternoon, I started hearing the rustling. About 10 minutes later, two does showed up at the edge of the woods, meandered around for another few minutes, then eased out into the tall grass. I could tell where they were headed and looked for an opening. There was a spot without any tall grass, so I just pointed the gun that way. A few seconds later, there she was. I took the shot and she dropped on the spot.

The other one stood there for 5 minutes in full view looking like she was wondering where her friend went. Even after I climbed down out of the stand 15 minutes later, she didn't run. I kept wondering if I was being presented a lesson in greed (my daughters tell me I'm way too philosophical about hunting). Anyway, I'm still not good at judging size from across a field. I really thought I had shot a 90-100lb doe. When I got to her, I discovered she was much bigger. I'm guessing around 150-160, and this morning, my back is confirming that.

The bittersweet part is that I had really pulled the shot and hit her high. It hit her high in the shoulder and caught her spine, which is why she dropped on the spot. She was still alive when I got to her and I had to put another one in her to finish her. I'm still feeling pretty bad this morning about that. At least my bad shot didn't result in her running off injured somewhere. Goal for next year - more practice shooting up and down hills!

The weather is warming up this afternoon, so I'm going home at lunch to quarter the deer up and get it into some coolers. My freezer will be full with this one, so my season is over and I'm happy with the results. Oh, and the menu for tonight is Venison Lasagna.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. Sounds like an eventful and successful season.