Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

take the shot or wait??

Old 01-19-2010, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seastrike,only you could honestly answer that question.If you're confindent you could make the kill then do it.
Me personally,I'm not confident in that type of sitituation & would not have taken the shot.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not a chance I would take the shot. I am 99% confident in my aim and 100% confident in my rifle, but at that distance I wouldn't do it. There are far too many factors that could lead to a lost deer, one that potentially give you a better shot the next day/week. I say you made a good choice.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

You had a chance and blew it.

You'll never see him again and that's what you get for hesitating.

LOL! Was that your thoughts when you passed on the shot? !!

Something inside didn't quite feel right, so you passed. Seems you made the right decision to me. When I shoot, it has to feel right. Yeah, you probably could have easily made the shot 19 out of 20, but for this one sit, for some odd reason, something you felt told you to hold back. Hard to argue with that.

Hopefully you will see him again.

iSnipe
Old 01-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

I probably would have dumped him, but I have passed shorter broadside shots because I couldn't get in a position that would allow a steady enough hold without spooking em.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can shoot a 3 inch group at 100 yards, I don't know why you wouldn't take the shot. A neck shot is one of the best shots you can take. DRT.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

I let a doe go earlier this yr less than 10 yards from me. I just did like the shot that was offered. I could see her head and neck area, and lower part of her legs just fine, but her boiler room was covered with some leaves. I have no doubt that the 250gr Shockwave could have hit the leaves and twigs on this piece of brush and kept on smiling to kill her.

This was on a doe, if it had been a great big buck at the same spot I would have done the same. I want to be 100% sure of my shots. I can drill paper all day with tight groups but in the field with your heart beating away adrenaline pumping through your veins like jet fuel you won't alway shoot your best.

You did what your gut told you to, I am sure he will back.

Good Luck
Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
I want to be 100% sure of my shots. I can drill paper all day with tight groups but in the field with your heart beating away adrenaline pumping through your veins like jet fuel you won't alway shoot your best.
Very well said! Guys can brag about shooting 2 inch groups at 100 yards with a rest, spotting scope and no wind, but if your heart isnt pumping when you are about to take a shot, you need to give up hunting!!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

At ten yards on a doe, take the head shot.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
I can drill paper all day with tight groups but in the field with your heart beating away adrenaline pumping through your veins like jet fuel you won't alway shoot your best.
This is absolutely true. However, with training, like having a pre-shot routine, visualization and understanding having to deal with the rush is a factor, it helps considerably in making an accurate shot. Plus, the more you do it, it does lessen slightly the rush one is experiencing at the height of the moment.

iSnipe
Old 01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Spike

ida shot him. had the same exact rifle i couldnt miss with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.