Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Off year in south Bama

Old 01-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Off year in south Bama

Over the past week or so I've talked with 3 taxidermist and a couple of large processors and it is definitely an off year in south Bama for deer hunters, about 50% right now. The rut that usually kicks in aroung the 15th of Jan is almost non-existent thus far.
One taxidermist said game warden told him that the hunting license sales in Alabama are way off from previous years. They need to extend the season a couple of weeks into February.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

I think it is the same way in north alabama as well. I have only saw a spike and four does all year.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The taxidermist and the meat processors are OVERFLOWIN with deer!Ive killed 3 does,a 3 pt and a spike.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

I am in Marion County, NW Alabama and nothing is going on here. Maybe a doe here and there but no bucks, somethings got to give.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Yellowhammer
I am in Marion County, NW Alabama and nothing is going on here. Maybe a doe here and there but no bucks, somethings got to give.

for me the alabama hunting hasnt been great this year but i wouldnt say its much off from any other year, except the rut seemed to be a little short around here
Old 01-19-2010, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing has happened here in the very southeast either. It happens every couple of years though, the rut hits at the end of Jan. or feb. but it will be back next year. At our lease down here though most have had pretty good luck. The deer are still there you just have to find them.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shot a doe this afternoon and dropped her off at a big processor near Samson. Last year they did almost 2100 deer, the doe's tag was 699 with less than two weeks left.